Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non continuously differentiable but inner product finite

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1

I was trying to understand Green's function and I stumbled across the following statements which is confusing to me.

I was referring to the following site

Here the author says the following

"What if $ u$ is not a continuously differentiable function? Then its image $ Lu$ is not square-integrable, but the inner product <v, Lu> is still well-defined because it is finite. For example, if u is a function which has a kink, then $ Lu$ would not be defined at that point and $ Lu$ would not be square-integrable. Nevertheless, the integral of $ \overline v Lu$ would be perfectly finite."

I dont understand the fact is if Lu is not defined how can u define an inner product with v at any point, ie <v, Lu>. What does it mean physically at all, is it a mathematical jugglery to move the L operator to v and then say that look it is still defined? I am totally confused.

Thanks a lot for any help in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you say "Lu is not defined"? If Lu is not square-integrable, then it is not in L2 but it is in some larger space, of which L2 is a subspace. The innerproduct can be defined in that larger space.
  4. Mar 22, 2008 #3

I say L is not defined because of the following. Lets give an example. Since L can be d^2/dx^2 + a(x) d/dx + b(x) and if u consider the function u s.t

for say (a< x <b), a<0, b >0

u(x) = 0 x<0,
    = x x>= 0

The fn u is cont but is not differentiable at x = 0. So I am not sure how for such functions u can define the operator like this. This is my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?