Real Analysis proof (inner product)

In summary: Well, you can try to integrate both x^2 and y^2. If they are both integrable then so is x*x+y*y. If they are not integrable then the result of integrating x^2 and y^2 will be something that is not an integral, in other words an error.
malcmitch20
Hello all,

I am having trouble showing that the operation defined by f*g(f of g)= Integral[from a to b]f(x)g(x) is an inner product.

I know it must fulfill the inner product properties, which are:
x*x>=0 for all x in V
x*x=0 iff x=0
x*y=y*x for all x,y in V
x(y+z)=x*z+y*z
(ax)y=a(xy)=x(ay)

I started the first one w/ Integral[a,b] f(x)*f(x) but I am not sure how to even integrate a function that is not defnied! Any help with this will get me going and I think I'll be able to complete the rest. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to calculate the integral, you just need to show it's non-negative.

malcmitch20 said:
Hello all,

I am having trouble showing that the operation defined by f*g(f of g)= Integral[from a to b]f(x)g(x) is an inner product.

I know it must fulfill the inner product properties, which are:
x*x>=0 for all x in V
x*x=0 iff x=0
x*y=y*x for all x,y in V
x(y+z)=x*z+y*z
(ax)y=a(xy)=x(ay)

I started the first one w/ Integral[a,b] f(x)*f(x) but I am not sure how to even integrate a function that is not defnied! Any help with this will get me going and I think I'll be able to complete the rest. Any ideas?

None of these are hard. For instance x*x>=0 because x^2>=0. The thing you need to ask yourself is whether X^2 is integrable i.e. whether its integral is finite if x is integrable. In general this is not true and you must restrict the space of functions to those for which it is.

But how do you know that x.y is integrable just because x and y are?

1. What is an inner product in Real Analysis?

An inner product in Real Analysis is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar value as an output. It is a generalization of the dot product in Euclidean space, and it is used to define the concept of orthogonality and to measure the length and angle between two vectors.

2. How is an inner product used in Real Analysis proofs?

In Real Analysis proofs, an inner product is used to establish properties of vector spaces, such as completeness and orthogonality. It is also used to prove the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which is a fundamental result in Real Analysis.

3. What are the axioms of an inner product in Real Analysis?

The axioms of an inner product in Real Analysis are linearity in the first argument, conjugate symmetry, and positive definiteness. Linearity means that the inner product is distributive and compatible with scalar multiplication. Conjugate symmetry means that the inner product of two vectors is equal to the complex conjugate of the inner product of the same vectors in reverse order. Positive definiteness means that the inner product of a vector with itself is always greater than or equal to zero, with equality only when the vector is the zero vector.

4. How does the inner product relate to the concept of orthogonality in Real Analysis?

The inner product is used to define the concept of orthogonality in Real Analysis. Two vectors are considered orthogonal if their inner product is equal to zero. This concept is extended to define orthogonality of functions, where two functions are considered orthogonal if their inner product is equal to zero over a given interval.

5. Can the inner product be extended to infinite-dimensional vector spaces in Real Analysis?

Yes, the inner product can be extended to infinite-dimensional vector spaces in Real Analysis. This is known as a Hilbert space, and it is a fundamental concept in functional analysis. In this case, the inner product is defined as an integral rather than a sum, and it is used to define properties of functions and their convergence in these spaces.