Non-differentiable path in path integral?

In summary: Basically, the phase factor and measure \mathcal{D}[q] together are a "quantum measure" on those paths.
kof9595995
It seems obvious in path integral, the paths include some non-differentiable path (some even discontinuous, I think), wouldn't it cause any serious problem? For example, the classical lagrangian as the phase factor, is defined on differentiable paths, isn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
if there are only a finite number of points on which the path is not smooth, then you can integrate on each segment and sum. If there are a countably infinite number of points where the path is not smooth, then that sum will be an infinite sum which may not converge. If there are an uncountable number of points where the path is not smooth, then you have a real problem!

Then would "uncountable number of points where the path is not smooth" happen? It seems quite possible to me, since there's not at all any restriction on how you choose |q><q| to insert.

In fact, I think *almost all* of the paths would have uncountably many discontinuities. But for each discontinuous path, there will be many smooth paths which are arbitrarily close to the discontinuous one. So I don't think there's any reason to worry.

Why not? In principle we need to evaluate all possible paths, don't we?

The path integral for quantum mechanics is only supported on nondifferentiable functions. It assigns measure zero to the set of differentiable functions. However it is also supported only on continuous functions.

The support is on even more singular objects in quantum field theory, where the measure is only supported on distributions, not functions.

@DarMM: so you mean only non-differentiable paths gives non-zero contributions to the integral? But it doesn't seem to answer my question, what happened if the integrals for some paths do not exist?

I know very little about this, but in the elementary introductions I have read to the path integral, I believe it is equal to an integral over all continuous paths composed of straight line segments, in the limit where the number of line segments composing the path goes to infinity. You calculate the action for each line segment, add up all the line segments to get the action for the entire path, and then integrate the exponential of the action over all such paths. You ignore the "kinks" joining line segments. In the limit of many line segments, this integral looks like an expression you can write down in QM for the amplitude for the particle to propagate from the start point to the end point.

kof9595995 said:
@DarMM: so you mean only non-differentiable paths gives non-zero contributions to the integral? But it doesn't seem to answer my question, what happened if the integrals for some paths do not exist?

Yes, only non-differentiable give a non-zero contribution. However this doesn't mean the path integral doesn't exist. The measure the phase factor (in Euclidean time) is [tex]e^{-S[q]}[/tex] which doesn't make any sense on those paths, since the Lagrangian contains derivatives as you said. However the phase factor and the measure [tex]\mathcal{D}[q][/tex] together make sense on those paths. So the path integral exists in quantum mechanics.

DarMM said:
However the phase factor and the measure [tex]\mathcal{D}[q][/tex] together make sense on those paths.
Could you brief me how is this so? Well, but you should know I know very little about measure theory(mathematical analysis is in my reach), please explain it in a layman style if possible, many thanks.

1. What is a non-differentiable path in path integral?

A non-differentiable path in path integral is a path that is not smooth and continuous. This means that the path does not have a well-defined tangent at each point, and therefore cannot be differentiated. In other words, the path is not differentiable at certain points or over certain intervals.

2. Why do we need to consider non-differentiable paths in path integral?

In some cases, the path integral cannot be evaluated using traditional methods if the path is not differentiable. Therefore, it is necessary to consider non-differentiable paths in order to accurately calculate the path integral.

3. How are non-differentiable paths incorporated into the path integral?

Non-differentiable paths are incorporated into the path integral using a concept called a "partition of unity." This involves dividing the path into smaller segments, each of which can be approximated by a smooth and differentiable path. The contributions from these segments are then summed up to give the final path integral.

4. What are the challenges of dealing with non-differentiable paths in path integral?

One of the main challenges of dealing with non-differentiable paths in path integral is the computational complexity. Dividing the path into smaller segments and summing up their contributions can be a time-consuming and labor-intensive process. Additionally, the accuracy of the final result may also be affected by the chosen partition of unity.

5. How are non-differentiable paths relevant to real-life applications?

The use of non-differentiable paths in path integral is particularly relevant in quantum mechanics, where the path integral is a fundamental tool for calculating the probability amplitude of a quantum system. In real-life applications, this can help us understand and predict the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level.