Path Integrals in Wolfram Mathematica

In summary, the speaker is new to the site and is finishing their BR in physics by delivering a thesis. They are struggling with computing path-integrals in SU(2) and SU(3) pure yang-mills fields using Mathematica. They are seeking guidance on how to compute these integrals using the saddle point method and have been advised by their mentor to use Mathematica. They are using non-linear plane waves as solutions and find the gauge fields in SU3 too complicated to integrate without assistance.
Mitya
Hello everyone ! I am new to this site so I 'd better say hello to you all !

I am finishing my BR in physics and part of this ending is to deliver a thesis .

Long story short I must compute path-integrals in SU(2) and SU(3) pure yang-mills fields . Problem is that i was never very good with mathematica or computers in general , whilst i had excellent marks in my lessons (i think not one of them demanded using a computer except from computational physics and our professor back then didnt demand pure programming but ony pseudo) .

Anyway I would be hugely thankful , if someone would guide me to what I should see or read , to be able to compute some path integrals via the saddle point method .

Thank you so much .

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to use Mathematica for that?

Likes Demystifier
Mitya said:
Anyway I would be hugely thankful , if someone would guide me to what I should see or read , to be able to compute some path integrals via the saddle point method .
The saddle point method is an analytical (not a numerical) method, so I'm not sure that you really need a computer for that.

Hello thanks for the answers !

My mentor advised me to use Mathematica to proceed , as the integral is much complicated . I use non linear plane waves as solutions of the EoMs and the gauge fields especially is SU3 are too complicated for me to integrate them yet , i think .

I surely trust him , he must have a reason to tell me to do so .

Thanks !

1. What is a path integral in Wolfram Mathematica?

A path integral in Wolfram Mathematica is a mathematical tool used to evaluate integrals over a continuous range of values, also known as a path. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve complex problems involving multiple variables.

2. How do I use path integrals in Wolfram Mathematica?

To use path integrals in Wolfram Mathematica, you can use the built-in function PathIntegrate. This function takes in the integrand, the path of integration, and any necessary parameters to evaluate the integral. You can also use the Integrate function with the Method -> "PathIntegration" option to perform path integrals.

3. What are the advantages of using path integrals in Wolfram Mathematica?

Path integrals in Wolfram Mathematica offer several advantages, including the ability to handle complex integrands and multiple variables, as well as the ability to perform numerical and symbolic evaluations. Additionally, Mathematica's built-in functions for path integration can save time and effort compared to manual calculations.

4. Can path integrals be used for any type of integration?

No, path integrals are specifically designed for integrals over a continuous range of values. They are commonly used in physics and engineering, but may not be applicable to all types of integration problems.

5. Are there any resources available for learning about path integrals in Wolfram Mathematica?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about path integrals in Wolfram Mathematica, including online tutorials, documentation, and forums. The official Wolfram website also offers a variety of resources for learning about path integrals and other features of Mathematica.