Non-electrical conductive material for extreme P&T

• Thread starter Buchimuer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a non-electrical conductive material with a yield strength of 1100 MPa at a temperature of 200 C. Cost is not a concern as long as the material is available on the market. The material does not need to be an insulator, but must be electrically non-conductive. The suggestion of using aluminum oxide ceramic is given, but the individual may need to reconsider their housing design due to the difficulty in sourcing such a strong material.
Buchimuer
Hello!

I'm building a thing that needs to survive in extreme conditions.
So I'm looking for a non-electrical conductive material that has a yield strength around 1100 MPa at temperature around 200 C.

As long as the material is available on the market, cost will not be a problem.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Buchimuer said:
for a non-electrical conductive material that have
We really do need to have you very carefully parse this expression for meaning.

Bystander said:
We really do need to have you very carefully parse this expression for meaning.
Edited. Sorry for my english

Is the material "an insulator?" Is it not?

Buchimuer said:
for a non-electrical conductive material
You want it to be electrically nonconductive?

Or, maybe you want it to conduct heat but not conduct electricity?

Bystander said:
Is the material "an insulator?" Is it not?

Sorry for the late reply, it has not to be an insulator. It is more like a housing.

NascentOxygen said:
You want it to be electrically nonconductive?

Or, maybe you want it to conduct heat but not conduct electricity?

Thanks for the reply. I just want it to be electrically non-conductive. I just need a material that is stable at these temperature.

Aluminum oxide ceramic has the compressive strength and temperature resistance you want. It's flexural strength is only around 330 MPa, though.

I think you may want to redesign your housing to use something easier to source.

Likes Buchimuer
Why do you need a material that would have to be stronger than most high tensile steels just for a housing ?

What is a non-electrical conductive material?

A non-electrical conductive material is a substance that does not allow the flow of electricity through it. This means that it does not conduct electricity and can be used in situations where electrical conductivity is not desired.

What are some examples of non-electrical conductive materials?

Some examples of non-electrical conductive materials include rubber, plastic, glass, and wood. These materials have high resistance to electricity and are commonly used in insulation, protective coatings, and other applications where electrical conductivity is not desired.

Why is non-electrical conductive material important for extreme conditions?

In extreme conditions such as high temperatures, corrosive environments, or high pressure, electrical conductivity can be dangerous and cause damage to equipment or harm to individuals. Non-electrical conductive materials provide a safe alternative in these situations.

How is non-electrical conductive material tested for extreme conditions?

Non-electrical conductive materials are tested for extreme conditions through various methods, including temperature and pressure testing, exposure to corrosive substances, and mechanical stress testing. These tests ensure that the material can withstand the extreme conditions without losing its non-conductive properties.

What are the benefits of using non-electrical conductive material for extreme P&T?

Using non-electrical conductive material for extreme pressure and temperature (P&T) applications can provide several benefits, including increased safety, reduced risk of equipment damage, and improved performance and longevity of the material in extreme conditions.