Non-Hermitian wavefunctions and their solutions

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of deriving real and trivial values for observables of non-Hermitian wavefunctions using numerical calculations. The conversation also touched upon the importance of the hermicity of operators in quantum mechanics and the confusion between operators and wavefunctions. It was suggested to learn the fundamentals of Hilbert spaces and Dirac notation to better understand this topic. The solution to this problem was proposed to be constructing wavepackets or using the concept of non-Hermitian Hamiltonians as discussed in "Making sense of non-Hermitian Hamiltonians" by Carl Bender.
SemM
Gold Member
I was wondering if anyone has worked with non-Hermitian wavefunctions, and know of an approach to derive real and trivial values for their observables using numerical calculations?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
What's a non-Hermitian wave function?

SemM said:
I was wondering if anyone has worked with non-Hermitian wavefunctions, and know of an approach to derive real and trivial values for their observables using numerical calculations?

Cheers

Your posts are fascinating. You seem to be ploughing through QM without having learned the basics - and having no intention of learning the basics. Perhaps eventually you will be able to put things together consistently without ever having learned, say, the definition of and difference between a vector and an operator!

Personally, I doubt it. I recommend a first course in linear algebra.

Likes StoneTemplePython, SemM and DrClaude
PeroK said:
Your posts are fascinating. You seem to be ploughing through QM without having learned the basics - and having no intention of learning the basics. Perhaps eventually you will be able to put things together consistently without ever having learned, say, the definition of and difference between a vector and an operator!

Personally, I doubt it. I recommend a first course in linear algebra.

Haha, thanks , it is indeed true, but its not true that I don't want to learn the basics. I did an engineering in chemistry, with plenty of math, but zero QM. All QM is by self-learning, so, given the interest in important subjects, coupled with no experience in courses in QM, a bunch of strange questions do indeed arise.

I thought about a solution to this original question, but I am not sure:

What if I expand the function which has no hermitian counter-part in terms of a power-series, then I perform the evaluation of each series component using the form ##\langle \psi | d/dx | \psi*\rangle## and at the end sum up only those that have a hermitian counterpart? Sounds like a lazy form of shortcutting to me, but maybe its the only way to get some estimate. However, a closer thought suggests that each component of a series of say ##e^{-kx}## would be something like ##1/x-2/x^2-3/x^4-1/x^8+..## which have no hermitian counterpart. So back at the original question.

Last edited:
SemM said:
I'm not aware of any significant work on the hermicity of wave functions. In QM, what is important is the hermicity of operators, which is what the link you posted above is about. This is also, I think, what has triggered @PeroK's reply. You seem to be confusing operators and wave functions.

To come back to the OP, most often the eigenfunctions of Hamiltonians can be chosen purely real, so they are definitely not Hermitian functions.

SemM said:
##\langle \psi | d/dx | \psi*\rangle##
This notation doesn't make sense to me. If you are using the Dirac notation, then there is no particular basis, so the ##d/dx## of a ket doesn't make sense. Likewise for the inclusion of a ##^*## in the ket, if it is to mean complex conjugation.

DrClaude said:
I'm not aware of any significant work on the hermicity of wave functions. In QM, what is important is the hermicity of operators, which is what the link you posted above is about. This is also, I think, what has triggered @PeroK's reply. You seem to be confusing operators and wave functions.

To come back to the OP, most often the eigenfunctions of Hamiltonians can be chosen purely real, so they are definitely not Hermitian functions.This notation doesn't make sense to me. If you are using the Dirac notation, then there is no particular basis, so the ##d/dx## of a ket doesn't make sense. Likewise for the inclusion of a ##^*## in the ket, if it is to mean complex conjugation.
It is difficult to use a common language here, because some are physicsts and some are mathematicians. This Dirac notation can also be given as

\begin{equation}
\int \psi p \psi^*dx
\end{equation}

and is the expectation value of the momentum operator.

Thanks

SemM said:
because some are physicsts and some are mathematicians
This ha nothing to do with it. What you wrote simply does not make any sense. It is definitely not the same as you wrote in your last post. I would suggest taking three steps back and learn the fundamentals of Hilbert spaces and Dirac notation to represent elements in the Hilbert space.

Anyway, the solution to this problem is to construct wavepackets, for those who are wondering, or should the original Hamiltonian be non-Hermitian, then refer to "Making sense of non-Hermitian Hamiltonians" by Carl Bender.

These conversations must yield an answer and not just critics, otherwise PF becomes a gladiator arena, with no pedagogic or informational role.

SemM said:
Anyway, the solution to this problem is to construct wavepackets,
I don't get it. The most common wave packet, a Gaussian wave packet, can be purely real, hence non-Hermitian.

SemM said:
These conversations must yield an answer and not just critics, otherwise PF becomes a gladiator arena, with no pedagogic or informational role.
The problem is the questions you ask, along with the replies you give, show a lack of basic knowledge. It is extremely pedagogical for people to reply that you must take steps back and try and get proper basic knowledge first.

Let me translate what these threads of yours sound to me. OP: "What is the colour of a hydrogen atom?" Followed up by question asking what do you mean by color of an atom, and a back and forth about basic principles, to be concluded by you saying "You should simply have answered blue."

DrClaude said:
I don't get it. The most common wave packet, a Gaussian wave packet, can be purely real, hence non-Hermitian.The problem is the questions you ask, along with the replies you give, show a lack of basic knowledge. It is extremely pedagogical for people to reply that you must take steps back and try and get proper basic knowledge first.

Let me translate what these threads of yours sound to me. OP: "What is the colour of a hydrogen atom?" Followed up by question asking what do you mean by color of an atom, and a back and forth about basic principles, to be concluded by you saying "You should simply have answered blue."

I didnt say the wavepacket must be non-hermitian. I said that constructing wavepackets is a way to find a solution to a model that does not give real and trivial expectation values for its observables.

1. What are non-Hermitian wavefunctions?

Non-Hermitian wavefunctions are mathematical functions that describe the behavior of a quantum system that does not satisfy the Hermitian property. This means that the wavefunction is not equal to its complex conjugate, leading to non-conservation of probability.

2. How are non-Hermitian wavefunctions different from Hermitian wavefunctions?

Non-Hermitian wavefunctions differ from Hermitian wavefunctions in that they do not obey the fundamental law of quantum mechanics, the conservation of probability. This is because the Hermitian property ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in a system is always equal to 1, while non-Hermitian wavefunctions do not have this property.

3. What are the solutions to non-Hermitian wavefunctions?

The solutions to non-Hermitian wavefunctions are complex-valued functions, as opposed to the real-valued solutions of Hermitian wavefunctions. These complex solutions must be interpreted differently, as they do not represent the physical state of the system, but rather the probability amplitudes of the system.

4. How are non-Hermitian wavefunctions used in quantum mechanics?

Non-Hermitian wavefunctions are used in quantum mechanics to describe systems that exhibit non-conservation of probability, such as open quantum systems. They are also used in studies of non-Hermitian Hamiltonians and non-unitary time evolution operators.

5. What are some applications of non-Hermitian wavefunctions?

Non-Hermitian wavefunctions have applications in various fields, including quantum optics, solid-state physics, and quantum information processing. They are also being studied in relation to topological insulators and other novel quantum phenomena.