Non linear differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving the second derivative of a (d^2a) and the square of the derivative of a ((da)^2) in the context of solving for the Schwarzschild metric with a non-zero cosmological constant. The equation also includes the radial coordinate (r) and the cosmological constant (L). The participants are struggling to find a solution, with one mentioning that non-linearity is difficult to deal with. They also discuss the possibility of making a mistake in their calculations and ask for help in solving the equation.
Terilien
I can't type in latex so in this post d^2a is the secpnd derivative of a, while (da)^2 is the square of the derivative.

This equation arose from the G_thetatheta compinent of the einstein tensor. Iwas solving tfor the shcwarzchildmetric where where the cosmos constant is nonzero.

the equation is:

e^2a(d^2a +2(da)^2 +2/r(da))= L where L is the cosmological constantand r is the radial coordinate. Umm how do we solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Terilien said:
I can't type in latex so in this post d^2a is the secpnd derivative of a, while (da)^2 is the square of the derivative.

This equation arose from the G_thetatheta compinent of the einstein tensor. Iwas solving tfor the shcwarzchildmetric where where the cosmos constant is nonzero.

the equation is:

e^2a(d^2a +2(da)^2 +2/r(da))= L where L is the cosmological constantand r is the radial coordinate. Umm how do we solve this?

[tex] e^{2a}(da'' +2da^2 + \frac{2da}{r}) = L [/tex]

is that right?

Last edited:
Yes it is. can you helpme?

essentially I determined from G_tt and G_rr that b=-a just like with the ordinary metric. When I plugged it into the G_thetathata equation, it was still fairly ugly, and icouldnt find a solution by inspection. Non linears are annoying.

Last edited:
Is it not

[tex]a^{\prime \prime} + 2 a^{\prime 2} + \frac{2a}{r} = L e^{-2a}[/tex]

and, presumably the derivative is with respect to r, yes?

yes it is. It may be that. It is possible that I've made a small mistake in my calculations of miswrote someon paper. How do we solve that? Can it be done by inspection? non linearity scares me.

could someone help me solve it?

Last edited:

1. What is a non linear differential equation?

A non linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives, where the function and its derivatives are not related to each other in a simple linear way. This means that the equation cannot be solved using standard methods for solving linear differential equations.

2. How is a non linear differential equation different from a linear differential equation?

In a linear differential equation, the unknown function and its derivatives are related to each other in a linear way, which means that the equation can be solved using standard methods. In a non linear differential equation, the unknown function and its derivatives are not related to each other in a simple linear way, making it much more difficult to solve.

3. What are some examples of non linear differential equations?

Some examples of non linear differential equations include the logistic equation, the Lotka-Volterra equations, and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations are commonly used in fields such as biology, ecology, and fluid mechanics.

4. What are the applications of non linear differential equations?

Non linear differential equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid flow, and can provide valuable insights and predictions.

5. How are non linear differential equations solved?

There is no general method for solving non linear differential equations, as each equation requires its own unique approach. Some techniques commonly used include numerical methods, series solutions, and perturbation methods. In some cases, non linear differential equations can be transformed into linear equations using mathematical transformations, making them easier to solve.