1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-linearly independent eigenvectors

1. Aug 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let B = 1 0
    6 -1
    Be a square matrix. Find a non-singular matrix P such that P-1BP = D, where D is a diagonal matrix and show that P-1BP = D.

2. Relevant equations

det(lambdaI - A) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, this might look like a simple problem...but I get non-linearly independent eigenvectors, even although I have 2 distinct eigenvalues?

Noting that it is a triangular matrix, the diagonal entries thus correspond to its eigenvalues. So, the matrix has lambda = 1 and lambda = -1 as its eigenvalues.

For lambda = 1, I obtain the basis vector (1/3, 1).

For lambda = -1, I obtain the basis vectors (1, 0) and (0, 1)...

Thus, I have non-linearly independent eigenvectors, since (1/3, 1) can be written as 1/3(1, 0) + (0, 1)...

???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2
    Re: diagonalization

i got only (0,1) and (1/3,1) as the eigenvectors. (1,0) isnt an eigenvector.

4. Aug 22, 2011 #3
    Re: diagonalization

Ok. I see it now...flip, just needed some revising on finding solution spaces...I get the same answer now too...thanks...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook