Operator T, ##T^2=I##, -1 not an eigenvalue of T, prove ##T=I##.

zenterix
Homework Statement
Suppose ##T\in\mathcal{L}(V)## and ##T^2=I## and ##-1## is not an eigenvalue of ##T##. Prove that ##T=I##
Relevant Equations
Since ##T^2=I## then ##T_2-I=0## is the zero operator. Then ##(T+I)(T-I)=0##.
Now, for ##v\in V##, ##(T+I)v=0\implies Tv=-v##. That is, the null space of ##T+I## is formed by eigenvectors of ##T## of eigenvalue ##-1##.

By assumption, there are no such eigenvectors (since ##-1## is not an eigenvalue of ##T##).

Hence, if ##(T-I)v \neq 0## then ##(T+I)(T-I)v\neq 0##.

Thus, For ##(T+I)(T-I)=0## we need to have ##(T-I)v=0## for all ##v \in V##.

##(T-I)v=Tv-v=0\implies Tv=v##

Therefore, it must be that ##T=I##.

This is the solution I came up with.

For comparison, here is another solution. My solution differs from this solution, I just want to make sure my reasoning is correct since my proof seems simpler than the linked solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks fine.

Likes zenterix
You can make it a bit shorter. If the null space of ##T+I## contains only the zero vector. This operator is invertable so ##(T+I)(T-I)=0## implies ##T-I=0##.

Likes zenterix and PeroK

1. How do you prove that -1 is not an eigenvalue of T?

To prove that -1 is not an eigenvalue of T, we assume that there exists a non-zero vector v such that Tv = -v. This implies that T^2v = T(Tv) = T(-v) = -Tv = -(-v) = v. However, this contradicts the given condition that T^2 = I. Therefore, -1 cannot be an eigenvalue of T.

2. What does it mean for T to be equal to I?

For an operator T to be equal to I, it means that T is the identity operator. This implies that for any vector v, Tv = v. In other words, T leaves every vector unchanged.

3. How does the condition T^2 = I help in proving T = I?

The condition T^2 = I is crucial in proving T = I because it implies that T is its own inverse. This means that applying T twice is equivalent to the identity operator. By using this property, we can show that T must be equal to I.

4. What is the significance of proving T = I when -1 is not an eigenvalue of T?

Proving that T = I when -1 is not an eigenvalue of T is important because it shows that the operator T behaves like the identity operator in the absence of -1 as an eigenvalue. This result highlights the unique properties of T and its relationship to the identity operator.

5. Can you provide a step-by-step proof of T = I given the conditions mentioned?

Starting with the condition T^2 = I and the fact that -1 is not an eigenvalue of T, we can construct a step-by-step proof to show that T must be equal to I. By carefully analyzing the properties of T and using the given conditions, we can logically deduce that T is indeed the identity operator.