Non-Uniform Circular Motion - Find Change in time

In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a particle to travel around a circle with an acceleration given by \ddot{\theta} = -3 \cos{\theta}. The method to solve this is by considering the unknown function as the independent variable and integrating twice. The resulting equation can then be solved for the angular velocity as a function of angle, which can then be solved for the desired time. This method may require elliptic integration and can be quite complex.
mcovalt

Homework Statement

Find the time it takes for a particle initially at rest to travel around a circle with acceleration [tex]\ddot{\theta} = -3 \cos{\theta}[/tex] to travel 1/4 of the circle.2. The attempt at a solution
[tex]\int_{0}^{{\frac{\pi}{2}}}-3 \cos{\theta}[/tex]

Am I doing this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of acceleration is velocity and the integral of velocity is displacement. You also need the initial angular velocity.

ehild

So I should do [tex]\int_{V_i}^{V_f}-3 \cos{\theta}[/tex]

No, you have to integrate with respect to time, and this problem is not simple at all. Are you sure that you copied it correctly? The initial position is also needed.

ehild

I don't think the initial position is required because you are given the initial velocity and the total angular displacement. I might be wrong but it sounds simple to me.

I do agree however that you have to integrate with respect to time because that is the link between acceleration, velocity and displacement.

You actually have to integrate twice

Integrating twice makes sense. I could graph the formula twice integrated and find the change in x for a quarter oscillation, correct?

Thanks for the help guys.

Oh boy. Does this require Elliptical integration?! If so, kill me now haha

I asked already, if you copied the problem correctly.

The usual method to solve such problems that contain only the unknown function and its second derivative with respect to time is to consider the unknown function as independent variable.

The angular velocity is ω=dθ/dt , so d2θ/dt2=dω/dt=(dω/dθ)ω ,

The original equation transforms to

0.5 d(ω2)/dθ =-3cos(θ),

which is easy to integrate, and you can get ω as function of the angle θ, which you should solve somehow but it is ugly any way.

ehild

Interesting. Thank you very much for the help. I did copy the question down correctly.

1. What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is the motion of an object traveling in a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object is not moving at a constant speed, but instead is accelerating or decelerating along the circular path.

2. How is non-uniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object travels in a circular path at a constant speed, meaning there is no change in velocity or acceleration. Non-uniform circular motion, on the other hand, involves changes in velocity and acceleration along the circular path.

3. How do you find the change in time for non-uniform circular motion?

To find the change in time for non-uniform circular motion, you can use the formula Δt = (Δv / a), where Δv is the change in velocity and a is the acceleration. This formula calculates the time it takes for the object to change its velocity by a certain amount along the circular path.

4. What factors can affect the change in time for non-uniform circular motion?

The change in time for non-uniform circular motion can be affected by the magnitude of the acceleration, the initial velocity of the object, and the radius of the circular path. It can also be influenced by external forces, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How is non-uniform circular motion used in real-world applications?

Non-uniform circular motion is used in many real-world applications, such as amusement park rides, car racing tracks, and satellite orbits. It also plays a role in the motion of objects in our solar system, such as planets orbiting around the sun.