1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonconservative vs conservative force

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the difference between two of the forces above?? Can someone please give me an example so that it's easier for me to understand

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A conservative force is a force that conserves mechanical energy, where the work done by that force on an object moving between 2 points is independent of the path taken. That's a pretty unclear definition, so suffice to say that in basic mechanics, gravity forces and spring forces are conservative forces, and every other type force (friction, tension, applied forces, other contact forces, etc.) are non conservative forces.

4. Dec 9, 2008 #3
    Your explanation is basically the same as what my book says.. If I am not mistaken my instructor used to say that we can convert back the energy produced/lost by conservative forces but not in non-conservative forces. Is this right?

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4
    We say that gravety is a conservative field, because there IS independence of path.
    the potential energy of an object is mgh, mass X gravitational constant X height above ground. It does NOT matter how the object got there the result is the same.
    As the object moves through this field(gravity in this example) sometimes the force works
    AGAINST the object, and sometimes the force helps the object (downhill) but if we move in a closed path, the net result is zero. We did NOT profit, and we did not loose anything,
    we BROKE EVEN (in layman's terms)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?