1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonconstant Acceleration Problem

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2 kg box is moving at 2 m/s, the box is being slowed by friciton such| Ff| = 4.3(1+x0.5) N. What is the speed of the box after moving 20 cm?

2. Relevant equations

W=1/2mV^2-1/2mV0^2
    W=FΔxCos(θ)
    0=N+∑Fy
    Friction=μN

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I realize that this is a nonconstant acceleration problem, meaning total work ends up being the integral of FΔxCos(θ), rather than just FΔx.
    My knowns are:
    Friction=Ff=4.2(1+x^.5)N
    Vf= ?
    V0= 2m/s
    m=2kg
    Weight=Fg=2kg*-9.8m/s^2=-19.6N
    Normal=N=?
    Time=?
    ΔX=.2m

I can find normal using 0=N+∑Fy, where all forces pushing in the downward direction are cancelled out by the normal force. So N=-∑Fy and since there is only gravity pushing on the box, the Normal force is 19.6 N upwards.

I input the normal force into the friction formula to get:
    Ff=4.2(1+x^.5)19.6=84.28+82.28x^.5

Work also equals 1/2mV^2-1/2mV0^2, inputting all I know, I get 1/2*2*V^2-1/2*2*2^2=(V^2)-4

The only force working on the system in the direction of work (x-axis) is friction, so the net force is Ff. Therefore, W=FΔxCos(θ)=FfΔxCos(180)=-FfΔx

I set this equal to (V^2)-4
    -FfΔx=(V^2)-4

This is where I begin to struggle. I am pretty sure you need to integrate the left side of the equation, since this problem has nonconstant acceleration, but I'm bad at calculus and also unsure about the physics. Anyways, I ended up with
    -FfΔx=-(84.28+84.28x^.5)dx, integrating from 0 to .2
    56.187x^1.5+85.28x (from 0 to 0.2)=-21.8815
    -21.8815=V^2-4
    -17.88=V^2
    .... and thats where I grind to a halt.
    I'm sure I did something completely wrong, or totally interpreted the problem incorrectly but for the life of me I can't figure out what. I would really appreciate some feed back on what I did wrong and what I can do to solve this problem.
    Also, this is a multiple choice problem so the choices are:
    1.7 m/s
    2.66 m/s
    0.58 m/s
    1.42 m/s
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand why you calculate any normal forces.
    The force from friction is given in the problem statement, you don't have to calculate it (especially not with a different result...). You can assume it acts directly against the direction of motion, the problem is 1-dimensional and you don't have to care about angles.

Do you mean ##| Ff| = 4.3(1+x^{0.5}) N##?
    What is x? The length in some unit?

Don't forget units.
    This does not work if the force is not constant over Δx.
    You need an integration, indeed.

I guess if you fix the errors I pointed out, the rest should be fine.

4. Mar 2, 2014 #3
    Hi, thanks for the help, but I don't understand what errors you pointed out, could you clarify?

1. Yes, that is the equation that I meant. The problem never specified what x was, but I assumed it was the distance traveled at time (t).

2. Thanks, I won't forget units

3. I used the integral of FΔxCos(θ) from point a to b to find the work done by a nonconstant force, as opposed to just FΔx without integration, does this not work? If it doesn't what should I do instead?

4. Thanks for the confirmation

5. I appreciate the help, but could you clarify the errors I made?

5. Mar 2, 2014 #4
    I found out what I was doing wrong, in |Ff|=4.3(1+x0.5)N N is newtons not the normal force. If you don't multiply by the normal force, you end up with 2.89=Vf^2 and that gives 1.7 as an answer, which is one of the possible selections.
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted