Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    Trying to solve the ODE
    [tex]mx''(t) + bx'(t) + kx(t) = F(t)[/tex]
    with [tex]m[/tex] measured in [tex]Kg[/tex], [tex]b[/tex] in [tex]Kg/s[/tex] and [tex]Kg/s^2[/tex], [tex]F(t)[/tex] in [tex]Kgm/s^2[/tex] and [tex]x(t)[/tex] in [tex] m[/tex] with initial conditions [tex]x(0) = 0[/tex] and [tex]x'(0) = 0[/tex], i got the following Green's function

[tex]G(t,t') = \frac{1}{m\omega} e^{-\omega_1(t-t')}\sinh\left[\omega(t-t')\right][/tex]
    for [tex]t \geq t'[/tex], with
    [tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

Adding up all the responses to unit impulses i got

[tex]x(t) = \int_0^t F(t')G(t,t')dt'[/tex]

So far, everything was ok.

But when i tried to get the response of the ODE for a unit impulse of amplitude [tex]f_0[/tex] at [tex]t = t_0[/tex] ([tex]F(t) = f_0\delta(t-t_0)[/tex]) i integrated the equation above but the dimension of the expression i got for [tex]x(t)[/tex] is [tex]m/s[/tex] instead of [tex]m[/tex].

If [tex]F(t)[/tex] is any other function it works fine, but with [tex]F(t) = f_0\delta(t-t_0)[/tex] I get this dimensional error.
    Can someone help me, please?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted