Nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve a differential equation with initial conditions using Green's function. The Green's function is found to be G(t,t') = \frac{1}{m\omega} e^{-\omega_1(t-t')}\sinh\left[\omega(t-t')\right], with additional equations to calculate \omega and \omega_1. However, when trying to solve for a unit impulse of amplitude f_0 at t = t_0, a dimensional error is encountered. The possibility of multiplying the dimension of the frequency was suggested, but no solution was found.
grilo
Trying to solve the ODE
[tex]mx''(t) + bx'(t) + kx(t) = F(t)[/tex]
with [tex]m[/tex] measured in [tex]Kg[/tex], [tex]b[/tex] in [tex]Kg/s[/tex] and [tex]Kg/s^2[/tex], [tex]F(t)[/tex] in [tex]Kgm/s^2[/tex] and [tex]x(t)[/tex] in [tex] m[/tex] with initial conditions [tex]x(0) = 0[/tex] and [tex]x'(0) = 0[/tex], i got the following Green's function

[tex]G(t,t') = \frac{1}{m\omega} e^{-\omega_1(t-t')}\sinh\left[\omega(t-t')\right][/tex]
for [tex]t \geq t'[/tex], with
[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\omega_1^2+\omega_0^2}[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
[tex]\omega_1=\frac{b}{2m}[/tex].

Adding up all the responses to unit impulses i got

[tex]x(t) = \int_0^t F(t')G(t,t')dt'[/tex]

So far, everything was ok.

But when i tried to get the response of the ODE for a unit impulse of amplitude [tex]f_0[/tex] at [tex]t = t_0[/tex] ([tex]F(t) = f_0\delta(t-t_0)[/tex]) i integrated the equation above but the dimension of the expression i got for [tex]x(t)[/tex] is [tex]m/s[/tex] instead of [tex]m[/tex].

If [tex]F(t)[/tex] is any other function it works fine, but with [tex]F(t) = f_0\delta(t-t_0)[/tex] I get this dimensional error.
Can someone help me, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you multiply the dimension of the frequency?
EDIT: No one answered this question for 9 years? Seriously?

1. What is a nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta?

A nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta is a type of differential equation where the right-hand side includes a Dirac delta function, denoted by δ(x). The Dirac delta function is a mathematical concept used to represent a point mass or impulse. In this type of ODE, the nonhomogeneous term is not continuous, but rather a distribution, and it can be used to model sudden changes or impulses in a system.

2. How is a nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta solved?

Solving a nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta involves using the same techniques as solving other types of ODEs, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or variation of parameters. However, additional care must be taken when dealing with the Dirac delta function, as it requires special integration techniques. In some cases, it may also be necessary to use Laplace transforms to solve the equation.

3. What are some real-life applications of nonhomogeneous ODEs with Dirac delta?

Nonhomogeneous ODEs with Dirac delta are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with sudden changes or impulses, such as in circuit analysis, control systems, and particle collisions. They can also be used in finance to model sudden changes in stock prices or interest rates.

4. What are the initial conditions for a nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta?

The initial conditions for a nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta are the same as for any other ODE. They are specified at a particular point, usually denoted by t = 0, and include the value of the dependent variable and its derivatives at that point. However, when dealing with a Dirac delta function, it is important to consider the behavior of the function at t = 0.

5. Can a nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta have multiple solutions?

Yes, a nonhomogeneous ODE with Dirac delta can have multiple solutions. This is because the Dirac delta function is not uniquely defined at t = 0, and different assumptions or boundary conditions can lead to different solutions. It is important to carefully consider the initial conditions and behavior of the Dirac delta function when solving these types of equations.