Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear DE depending on two variables

1. May 16, 2007 #1
    I have a single nonlinear differential equation like

F(x2,dx1/dt,dx2/dt,d2x1/dt2,d2x2/dt2)=0

where x1=x1(t), x2=x2(t)

i.e. a second order non-linear DE with no implicit dependence on x1(t). I suppose solving it results (in general) that one of the variables would be dependent on the other.

How can I proceed with this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2007 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have an actual equation to solve? If so, posting it would probably help

4. May 16, 2007 #3
    Ok. I will use dJxi for dJxi/dtJ, i \in {1,2} and so on. Little bit ugly but anyway, :)

(d1x1)^3 +(d1x2)^2*d1x1 -x2*d1x1*d2x2 +x2*d2x1*d1x2 +L*x2*((d1x1)^2+(d1x2)^2)^(3/2) =0

This comes from a calculus of variations problem, L is a Lagrange coefficient, and the DE describes what the extremals should look like.

I have some boundary constraints, x1(t0)=0, x2(t0)=R, x2(t1)=r, R≥0, r≥0 and an integral constraint that has to hold, that's why I use a Lagrange coefficient. I started a thread regarding this in some other section as well.

This problem was meant to be an exercise before the real problem I am working on, :) I thought it would be easy to solve but no.

5. May 16, 2007 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol... that's a bit out of my league.

But I can do the latex!

[tex](\frac{dx_1}{dt})^3 + (\frac{dx_2}{dt})^2 \frac{dx_1}{dt} - x_2\frac{dx_1}{dt}\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2} + x_2\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}\frac{dx_2}{dt} + Lx_2( (\frac{dx_1}{dt})^2 + (\frac{dx_2}{dt})^2 )^{3/2} = 0[/tex]

6. May 17, 2007 #5
    NO! It is simple, solve it! :) Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?