Example of a Nonlinear Operator | Math Definition

In summary, a nonlinear operator is one that does not follow the property of linearity, where the operator cannot be taken apart and solved in simpler parts. An example of a nonlinear operator is \hat{B} \psi = \psi^2, where the operator sends one function to another function. It can have any mathematical form as it is just an arbitrary function between spaces. The momentum operator \hat{p} in quantum mechanics and the laplace operator are examples of linear operators with specific mathematical forms, while the form of a nonlinear operator can be any well-defined function.
Repetit
Can someone give me an example of a nonlinear operator? My textbooks always proves that some operator is a linear operator, but I don't think I really know what a nonlinear operator looks like.

One of my books defines an operator like [tex]\hat{B} \psi = \psi^2[/tex]. I see that this is a nonlinear operator because:

[tex]\hat{B} (\psi_1 + \psi_2) = (\psi_1 + \psi_2)^2[/tex]

...and this is different from [tex]\psi_1^2 + \psi_2^2[/tex] which you would get by letting the operator B act on each function. But how can you define an operator like this? What would the mathematical form of such an operator be?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
An operator that is not linear?? In other words, an operator, A, is nonlinear if and only if there exist some vectors, u and v, and some numbers, a and b, such that A(au+ bv) is NOT equal to aA(u)+ bB(v). That's a perfectly good "mathematical definition". I not sure what you mean by a "mathematical form". What is the "mathematical form" of a linear operator?

Notice that if A(v)= v2[/sub] (assuming a one dimensional vector space for which squaring makes sense) then A(au+ bv)= (au+ bv)2= a2u2+ 2abuv+ b2v2 which is NOT the same as aA(u)+ bA(v)= au2+ bv2.

A two-dimensional example might be A((x,y))= (x2,y2). Then A(a(x,y)+ b(p,q))= A((ax+bp,ay+ bq))= (ax+bp)2, (ay+ bq)2= (a2x2+2abxp+ b2p2,a2y2+ 2abyq+ b2q2) which is not the same as aA(x,y)+ bA(p,q)= a(x2,y2)+ b(p2,q2)= (ax2+ bp2,ay2+ bq2).

Linear problems have the nice property that you can "take them apart", solve the simpler parts, and put those back together to get a solution to the original problem. With "non-linear" problems you can't do that. Essentially, "Linear Algebra" is the study of linear problems and so you very seldom have anything to do with non-linear operators. That is a much harder study!

Repetit said:
Can someone give me an example of a nonlinear operator? My textbooks always proves that some operator is a linear operator, but I don't think I really know what a nonlinear operator looks like.

they look like absolutely anything that is not linear. They are just arbitrary functions between spaces. f(x)=ax for some a are the only linear operators from R to R, for example, any other function, such as sin, x^2, log(x) and all the functions you know and love are non-linear operators.

One of my books defines an operator like [tex]\hat{B} \psi = \psi^2[/tex]. I see that this is a nonlinear operator because:

[tex]\hat{B} (\psi_1 + \psi_2) = (\psi_1 + \psi_2)^2[/tex]

...and this is different from [tex]\psi_1^2 + \psi_2^2[/tex] which you would get by letting the operator B act on each function. But how can you define an operator like this?

You just did define it.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! What I meant was, what is the mathematical form of the operator [tex]\hat{B}[/tex] that I introduced? For example, the form of the momentum operator [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] in quamtum mechanics is [tex] - i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}[/tex], and the form of the laplace operator is:

[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2}{dy^2} + \frac{d^2}{dz^2}[/tex]

But what is the form of the operator B that I introduced (I believe you called it A)? What would I write instead of the operator?

An operator is just a function. In this case, it sends one function to another function. For example, d/dx sends the function x^2 to the function 2x. But any well defined function works as an operator, even if we have not assigned a nice symbol like d/dx to it, and the operator you defined in your first post is perfectly valid.

Thanks to all of you, I understand it now! :-)

1. What is a nonlinear operator in math?

A nonlinear operator is a mathematical function or transformation that does not follow the rules of linearity, which is the property of a function where the output is proportional to the input. In other words, the output of a nonlinear operator cannot be expressed as a linear combination of the input variables.

2. Can you give an example of a nonlinear operator?

One example of a nonlinear operator is the square root function. If we input a number x into the function, the output will be the square root of x, which is not directly proportional to x. Another example is the exponential function, where the output increases at an increasing rate as the input increases.

3. How is a nonlinear operator different from a linear operator?

A linear operator follows the rules of linearity, where the output is directly proportional to the input. This means that if we double the input, the output will also double. On the other hand, a nonlinear operator does not follow this rule and the output is not directly proportional to the input.

4. What are some applications of nonlinear operators in science and engineering?

Nonlinear operators are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model complex systems. They can also be used in data analysis and machine learning to capture nonlinearity in data relationships. Additionally, nonlinear operators are essential in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum particles.

5. How are nonlinear operators used in solving mathematical problems?

Nonlinear operators are often used in solving nonlinear equations, which are equations where the unknown variable appears in a nonlinear fashion. These types of equations cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods, but can be solved using numerical methods or software programs that utilize nonlinear operators.