Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal derivative at boundary Laplace's equation half plane

1. May 1, 2014 #1
    Hi,

Given a holomorphic function [itex] u(x,y) [/itex] defined in the half plane ([itex] x\in (-\infty,\infty), y\in (-\infty,0)[/itex]), with boundary value [itex] u(x,0) = f(x) [/itex], the solution to this equation (known as the Poisson integral formula) is

[tex] u(x,y) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{y\ f(t) }{(t-x)^2 +y^2} \ dt [/tex].

I have two questions. First, how does one prove

[itex] u(x,0) = f(x) [/itex],

and related, but what I'm more interested in, how do I find

[itex] \left.\frac{\partial u(x,y) }{\partial y}\right|_{y=0} [/itex]

The subtleties on how take these limits (namely [itex] y\to 0; \ y<0[/itex]) appropriately is very much beyond me. Any suggestions/references on how to answer this would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. May 7, 2014 #3
    I'm not entirely sure about your first question. You defined the upper half-plane problem to have the BV of f(x). I don't think you would need to prove that, because that is just a definition in the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook