1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Force at a certain point in a loop

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 5.4g mass is released from rest at C which has a height of 1.2m above the base of the loop-the-loop and a radius of .36m
    Finde the normal force pressing on the track at A, where A is at the same level as the center of the loop. Answer in units of N

So the picture is of a ball (at point C) at the top of a 1.2m slope that goes down into the beginning of the loop the loop where point A is at 0o from the center of the radius and point B is at the top of the loop.

2. Relevant equations
    1/2mvf2+PEi=1/2mvf2+PEf
    Sum of all of the forces is = to mac or mass times the centripetal acceleration.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need to make and equation that works for this problem but I don't know where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    Top of loop elevation = 2 * 0.36 = 0.72 m
    Top of track= 1.2 m

Figure change in energy from top of track to top of loop

PE = KE
    MGH = 0.5MV^2
    5.4 * 9.8 * 1.2 = 0.5*5.4 V^2

2.7 V^2 = 63.504
    V^2 = 23.52
    V = 4.85 m/s

Fn = Force of Gravity - Centripetal Force
    Fn = MG - M* (V^2/r)
    Fn = 5.4 * 9.,8 - 5.4 *(4.85^2 / 0.36)
    Fn = 5.4 * 9.8 - 352.8 = 52.92 - 352.8 =299.88 N That is the force of the track down against the ball

It seems as if this isnt the answer my prof is looking for. can anyone tell me where I went wrong. I have an hour left to get this problem so i'm frantic right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook