Normal force on a 3.80 kg block in equilibrium on a 38.4° incline

  • Thread starter Thread starter KB94
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forum Hi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
KB94
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 3.80 kg block is in equilibrium on an incline
of 38.4◦.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .
What is Fn of the incline on the block?
Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



FgsinΘ=mgsinΘ=3.8*9.81*sin38.4°=24.04
FgcosΘ=mgcosΘ=3.8*9.81*cos38.4°=28.49

This is from an online assignment. The second equation should've given me the correct value, but when I input the answer, the system tells me it's incorrect. Could anyone enlighten me on this situation? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Please I would appreciate a quick reply. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh hehe I must've made a mistake while calculating. Thank you very much. It's correct.
 
KB94 said:
FgsinΘ=mgsinΘ=3.8*9.81*sin38.4°=24.04
FgcosΘ=mgcosΘ=3.8*9.81*cos38.4°=28.49

I get the same as ideasrule. You have both of your answers off, so there must be something wrong with the way you are typing them into the calculator.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by FgcosΘ=mgcosΘ. What is Fg? You should probably write it as:

F=mgcosΘ