Normal subgroups and Abelian property

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether all subgroups of a group being normal implies that the group is abelian. It is stated that this is not true and a counter-example is suggested to be the quaternion group. It is also mentioned that every group with this property contains a copy of the quaternion group as a subgroup. The conversation then delves into a discussion on finding a nonabelian counter-example and the existence of a general quaternion group.
soumyashant
If all subgroups of a group are normal, is the group abelian?
I know that the answer is NO...

Can you give a counter-example..?

Better still can you logically deduce some property the counter-example must have, which will ease our way to finding it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever you want to look for a nonabelian counterexample, it's usually good to try the quaternion group Q first (and then the symmetric and dihedral groups!). In the case at hand this strategy is particularly fruitful, because
(1) Q does have this property (all its subgroups are normal), and
(2) every group which has this property contains a copy of Q as a subgroup.

The idea is that if the group G which we're after is nonabelian, then it contains two noncommuting elements x and y in G. If we let Q0 be the subgroup of G generated by x and y, then it can be shown that Q0 is isomorphic to the quaternion group. For a proof, see Rotman's Theory of Groups.

Thanks for the example and the suggestion...

Firs thing I tried with was dihedral groups and was unsuccessful, quaternion groups never crossed my mind...
I tried with the Klein four subgroup (dihedral group with [tex]x^2=e,y^2=e[/tex]) which satisfies the condition, but is Abelian and thus obviously ahould satisfy the conditions ,of no use...

A little more patience may have helped because the quaternion group is similar to Klein four group...

For example,
In Klein four subgroup, [tex]x^2=y^2=z^2=e[/tex] and [tex]xy=z,yz=x,xz=y[/tex]
And in quaternion,[tex]x^2=y^2=z^2=-e[/tex] and [tex]xy=z,yz=x,zx=y[/tex]
morphism said:
The idea is that if the group G which we're after is nonabelian, then it contains two noncommuting elements x and y in G. If we let Q0 be the subgroup of G generated by x and y, then it can be shown that Q0 is isomorphic to the quaternion group. For a proof, see Rotman's Theory of Groups.

Is there some general quaternion group??
I only know of the quaternion group of order 8...

In that case, how can we have bijection between the subgroup generated by [tex]x,y[/tex] and quaternion group if their cardinality is not the same and thus, isomorphism??...

EDIT: In Wikipedia, I see something called the generalised quaternion group, did you mean that??

Last edited:
soumyashant said:
Is there some general quaternion group??
I only know of the quaternion group of order 8...

In that case, how can we have bijection between the subgroup generated by [tex]x,y[/tex] and quaternion group if their cardinality is not the same and thus, isomorphism??...
Maybe my outline of the proof was overly simplistic. I don't remember much of it, but what I do remember is that you can always choose two appropriate noncommuting elements x and y such that the group generated by {x,y} is isomorphic to the quaternion group of order 8. The proof isn't exactly easy though.

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the group. In other words, if we take an element from the group, conjugate it with an element from the subgroup, and then conjugate it back with another element from the group, the result will still be in the subgroup.

2. What is the significance of normal subgroups?

Normal subgroups play a crucial role in group theory as they help to classify and understand groups. They provide a way to break down a group into smaller, simpler pieces, and can also be used to define quotient groups. Additionally, the normality of a subgroup can determine the structure and properties of the larger group.

3. How do you determine if a subgroup is normal?

There are a few ways to determine if a subgroup is normal. One method is to check if every element of the larger group commutes with every element of the subgroup. Another way is to check if the subgroup is the kernel of a homomorphism from the larger group to another group. Additionally, for finite groups, one can use the index of the subgroup to determine its normality.

4. What is the Abelian property?

A group is considered Abelian if its elements commute with each other. In other words, the order in which the elements are multiplied does not change the result. This property is named after the mathematician Niels Henrik Abel and is also known as commutativity.

5. Can all normal subgroups be Abelian?

No, not all normal subgroups are Abelian. While all Abelian groups have the property of being normal, the converse is not true. There are non-Abelian groups that have normal subgroups, but the subgroup itself is not Abelian. For example, the alternating group An has normal subgroups, but it is only Abelian when n is less than or equal to 3.