Normalization of a wave function

In summary: Let me know if I am still missing something. Thanks again for catching that.In summary, The wave function of a particle is described by psi(x) = b(a2-x2) for -a < x < +a and psi(x) = 0 for x < -a and x > +a, where a and b are positive real number constants. To find b in terms of a, we use the normalization condition and solve for b, which is equal to sqrt(15/16a5). The probability to find the particle at x = +a/2 in a small interval of width 0.010a is 0.5 percent.
leehufford

Homework Statement

A particle is described by the wave function psi(x) = b(a2-x2) for -a < x < +a and psi(x) = 0 for x < -a and x > +a, where a and b are positive real number constants.

a) Using the normalization condition, find b in terms of a.
b) What is the probability to find the particle at x = +a/2 in a small interval of width 0.010a?
c) What is the probability for the particle to be found between x = +a/2 and x = +a?

Homework Equations

Psi(x) = b(a2-x2)
The integral of Psi(x)2 from negative infinity to infinity must equal one, so that way it can exist.
P(x) dx = (Psi(x))2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an answer, but I was hoping someone could confirm I did this right, this concept is brand new to me and my answer from A looks weird to me.

Part A:

b2* Integral of (a2-x2)(a2-x2) dx = 1 (From -a to a, since everywhere else Psi is zero).

b2[a4x - (2/3)a2x2 + (1/5)x5] dx = 1 evaluated from -a to a...

b2[(a5-(2/3)a5+(1/5)a5) - (-a5 + (2/3)a5-(1/3)a5) = 1

b2(16a5/15) = 1, so b = sqrt(15/16a5).

Part B:

P(x)dx = (Psi(x))2 dx

= (15/16a5)(a2-x2)2 dx
= (15/16a5)(a2 - (1/4)a2)2(0.010a)
= (15/16a5)(3/4)a4(0.010a)
=0.007, or 0.7 percent chance of finding the particle there.

Part C: I didn't attempt part C because I wanted to hopefully get some feedback that I was on the right track before I started part C. Looks like I will actually have to integrate for part C since the interval is bigger. Thanks for reading.

Lee

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not check your computations in detail, but your approach is correct and assuming you did the math correctly your results for (a) and (b) should therefore be correct as well. Just watch out for (what I assume is) the typo in aa in your problem formulation.

Thank you Orodruin for your reply and noticing the typo. It's been corrected. I'm pleased to know the approach is correct since I have already double checked the math.

There are indeed many typos, but there is also an error in part b.

leehufford said:
= (15/16a5)(3/4)a4(0.010a)
That equation (and the number you get from it) is incorrect.

DrClaude - thank you for the reply. I noticed i forgot to square the (3/4), so my final equation is now

(15/16a5)(9/16)a4(0.010a) = 0.005 = 0.5 percent chance.

What is normalization of a wave function?

Normalization of a wave function is a mathematical process used in quantum mechanics to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. It is a way to scale the wave function to make sure it is physically meaningful and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of particles.

Why is normalization important?

Normalization is important because it ensures that the wave function represents a physically valid state. Without normalization, the probability of finding a particle in any location could exceed 100%, which is impossible. Normalization also allows for the calculation of expectation values and other properties of the wave function.

How is normalization of a wave function performed?

Normalization is performed by finding the integral of the square of the wave function and dividing the original wave function by the square root of this integral. This ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1.

What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, it cannot be used to make meaningful predictions about the behavior of particles. The probability of finding the particle in any location would not be accurate, and the wave function would not represent a physically valid state. Normalization is necessary for the wave function to have physical significance.

Can all wave functions be normalized?

Yes, all wave functions can be normalized. In some cases, the normalization constant may be complex, but it is still possible to normalize the wave function. However, there are certain situations where a wave function cannot be normalized, such as when it represents an infinite or unbounded system.