1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalize the wave function and more Please help

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    normalize the wave function and more!! Please help!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i) Normalize the wave function

ii) Calculate <x>

iii) Calculate [tex]<x^{2}>[/tex]

iv) What would happen if a < 0?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\psi\left(x\right) = N\left(1+i\right)exp\left(-a|x|\right)[/tex], for -inf < x < inf and a > 0

3. The attempt at a solution

It would take ages for me to work out the latex for all my steps (I'm new to latex!!) so I'll do what i need to and hope someone can help!!

First:

[tex]^{inf}_{-inf}\int 2N^{2}e^{-2a|x|}dx[/tex]
    [tex]=N^{2}\left[-e^{-2a|x|}\right]^{inf}_{-inf}[/tex]

so: [tex]\frac{-N^{2}}{a}=1[/tex]
    so: [tex]N=\sqrt{\frac{-1}{a}}[/tex]

therefore:
    [tex]\psi\left(x\right) = \sqrt{\frac{-1}{a}}\left(1+i\right)exp\left(-a|x|\right)[/tex]

ii+iii) for the expectation values, I got both equalling zero

iv) and if a < 0, you'd get exponential growth as x approaches infinity (+ and -)

Is this right??!

I get so confused when the limits are infinity!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    Re: normalize the wave function and more!! Please help!!!

I think you lost a 2 when doing your initial normalization.

You should get an expectation value for position of zero. Think about physically why that is the case.

The expectation value of x^2 should not be zero. Check that integral.

Your completely correct on the a<0 regieme. The function would increase to infinity as x goes to infinity and you could not normalize the function. The solution becomes non-physical.

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your integration to normalize the WF looks wrong. You shouldn't get a negative answer when you're integrating a positive definite function. I'd try it again more carefully if I were you.

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

Also, it is difficult to integrate an absolute value. You need to split the integral into two regions. One where the Abs(x) = x and one where Abs(x) = -x

6. Oct 20, 2009 #5

Ok! I redid the integration for the wave function and got [tex]N=\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}[/tex] now, which looks alot better and my expectation value of x is still zero so that's good too!! My problem now is that when i try to calculate the expectation value of x^2, (using integration by parts) I just keep getting deeper and deeper into it!!

[tex]<x^{2}>=^{inf}_{-inf}\int\psi^{*}x^{2}\psi\: dx[/tex]
    [tex]=\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}\left(1-i\right)e^{-a|x|}x^{2}\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}\left(1-i\right)e^{-a|x|}\: dx[/tex]
    [tex]=^{inf}_{-inf}\int ax^{2}e^{-2a|x|}[/tex]
    [tex]=^{0}_{-inf}\int ax^{2}e^{2ax}+\;^{inf}_{0}\int ax^{2}e^{-2ax}[/tex]
    [tex]=\left[\frac{x^{2}e^{2ax}}{2}\right]^{0}_{-inf}-\:^{0}_{-inf}\int \frac{e^{2ax}}{x}\:dx+\left[\frac{-x^{2}e^{-2ax}}{2}\right]^{inf}_{0}-\:^{inf}_{0}\int \frac{-e^{-2ax}}{x}\:dx[/tex]

=......

so far I have carried on another 2 integrals and the denominator in each new integral has an increased power of x (this one is x, next x^2, then x^3)! I can see no end!!!

Have I made yet another mistake?!

7. Oct 22, 2009 #6

I don't know how where i was going with that intgral!! I started again from scratch following your advice and every thing seemed to fall into place itself so thanks to both of you for your help!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook