Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Norms of compositions of bounded operators between different spaces

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    Suppose I have [itex]B: X\to Y[/itex] and [itex]A: Y\to Z[/itex], where [itex]X,Y,Z[/itex] are Banach spaces and [itex]B\in \mathcal L(X,Y)[/itex] and [itex]A\in \mathcal L(Y,Z)[/itex]; that is, both of these operators are bounded. Does it follow that [itex]AB \in \mathcal L(X,Z)[/itex] and
    [tex]
    \| AB \|_{\mathcal L(X,Z)} \leq \|A\|_{\mathcal L(Y,Z)} \|B\|_{\mathcal L(X,Y)}
    [/tex]
    It seems like this should be the case, but any time I try to prove a functional analytic result like this, I always get mired in uncertainty about the details...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2014 #2
    Hmmm...okay, well, I think I've found my answer in Eqn. 3.3 of this PDF. Does this suffice for a proof of this result:
    [tex]
    \| AB \|_{\mathcal L(X,Z)} = \sup_{x\in X, \|x\|_X = 1} \|ABx\|_Z \leq \sup_{x\in X, \|x\|_X = 1} \|A\|_{\mathcal L(Y,Z)} \|Bx\|_Y = \|A\|_{\mathcal L(Y,Z)} \sup_{x\in X, \|x\|_X = 1} \|Bx\|_Y = \|A\|_{\mathcal L(Y,Z)} \|B\|_{\mathcal L(X,Y)}.
    [/tex]

4. Jan 26, 2014 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

This is ok. Another way of proving it is to note that ##\|A\|## is the smallest number ##C## such that [tex]\|Ax\|\leq \|A\|\|x\|[/tex] for each ##x## in the domain. It follows that for each ##x\in X##: [tex]\|ABx\|\leq \|A\|\|Bx\|\leq \|A\|\|B\|\|x\|[/tex] So ##\|A\|\|B\|## is some number ##C## such that ##\|ABx\|\leq C\|x\|##. It follows that ##AB## is bounded and that ##\|AB\|\leq \|A\|\|B\|##, since ##\|AB\|## is by definition the smallest ##C## such that ##\|ABx\|\leq C\|x\|##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook