North American Superconductor Superhighway: Concept and Propulsion Methods

• Thread starter Kyknoc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the concept project is for a North American Superconductor Superhighway, with projected stations in Brooklyn and Newark, approximately 14.9 miles apart. The tunnel will be an absolute vacuum and will utilize 4-8 superconducting rails for freight transportation. The proposed propulsion method involves using superconductor magnets cooled by liquid helium to repel another magnet attached to the freight cars. The estimated weight of the freight car is 100,000 tons and the desired travel time is 10 seconds. The question is how much force is needed to reach Newark at that velocity, taking into consideration the lack of air resistance and friction. The estimated force required is 217,535,915,329.502 Newtons and the
Kyknoc
This is my concept project, it stands for North American Superconductor Superhighway.

I have a lot of details figured out, however my physics is a bit rusty, Station 1 is projected to be in Brooklyn.. Station 2 is projected to be in NEWARK.. The Exact Distance is yet to be determined however for this question let's use the rough estimate of 14.9 Miles.

I am still conceptualizing propulsion methods, however just to give you an idea this SuperHighway
will be a very large tunnel, which will be subterranean through cities and above ground through rural/open lands. (think L.H.C.)

The tunnel will be an absolute vacuum to remove air resistance, so remember that in this equation. The concept will be for freight, human passengers will be introduced after a large duration of time and experimentation to ensure we can travel safely.

Inside the tunnel will be 4-8 superconducting rails, to ensure the freight car stays on track utilizing the meissner effect, and have a 360 degree frictionless track.

I am still conceptualizing the propulsion system 1.

Model 1 would be least expensive..
Superconductor magnets cooled by liquid helium at each station to "repel" another superconductor magnet attached at the end of the freight cars...

So here is a simple illustration of the freight car..

[+]-{---}-{---}-{---}-{---}-{---}-[-]

This Freight Car will travel from Brooklyn to Newark in the Tunnel.

New York Station {++--} → [+]-{---}-{---}-{---}-{---}-{---}-[-]

How much force required to send this freight cart
With an Estimated Weight of 100,000 Tons to Newark 14.9 miles away in 10 seconds

Please take into consideration their is no/minscule air resistance and no friction from its super conductor track...

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course another magnet will be waiting in newark to slow the freight car down to a stop so freight cars can be exchanged and it is sent to the next station in Scranton PA. First I just want find the amount of force needed to be generated by the superconducting magnet in nY to reach newark at that velocity...
I know F= Ma Mass = 90718474 D = 23979.23 a = 2397.92 m/s So the total force would be 217,535,915,329.502 Newtons how large and much electricity would be need to create magnets capable of reaching that amount force.. Or should I abandon this propulsion idea and look at something more similar to rail gun.. (more expensive but much safer)

1. What is the Nascsh project?

The Nascsh project is a scientific research initiative focused on studying the effects of climate change on marine ecosystems. It involves a team of scientists from various disciplines working together to collect and analyze data from different regions of the ocean.

2. Why is help needed for the Nascsh project?

The Nascsh project requires a large amount of data to be collected and analyzed, which can be a time-consuming and resource-intensive process. Help from other scientists can greatly increase the efficiency and speed of the project, allowing for more accurate and comprehensive results.

3. How can I get involved in the Nascsh project?

If you are a scientist interested in contributing to the Nascsh project, you can reach out to the team leaders to inquire about potential opportunities for collaboration. This could include volunteering to collect data in the field, analyzing data, or providing expertise in a specific area of study.

4. What types of data are being collected in the Nascsh project?

The Nascsh project collects a wide range of data, including physical measurements of water temperature, salinity, and acidity, as well as biological data such as species diversity and population sizes. Satellite data is also used to track changes in ocean currents and surface temperature.

5. How will the results of the Nascsh project be used?

The results of the Nascsh project will be used to better understand the impacts of climate change on marine ecosystems and inform conservation efforts. The data collected will also be made available to other scientists and organizations for further research and analysis.