North and South poles of Mars are at different temperatures?

• B
  • Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Poles
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the polar ice caps on Earth and Mars, and how the timing of the Martian year and its orbital position affects the severity of seasons on the planet. The discussion also touches on the tilt of Earth and Mars' axes and the concept of precession. It is mentioned that altitude difference is the dominant factor in temperature variance on Mars due to its lack of atmosphere. The conversation also briefly mentions the E3SM (Energy Exascale Earth System Model) and its relevance to Mars. Overall, the conversation provides insights into the factors that contribute to the differences in temperature and ice caps between Earth and Mars.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The images I have seen of Mars seem to show a more pronounced polar 'ice' cap on the South Pole than at the North. Could that be something to do with the times in the Martian year that the images are all taken (relative orbital positions vs winter and summer) or something else?
Earth's South pole has more of a permanent ice cap but that can be explained by the solid ground of Antarctica vs the sea under the North pole. But there isn't an equivalent difference on Mars.
Any ideas?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
According to Magnificent Mars by Ken Croswell, page 72: "Mars is nearest the Sun just before the start of southern summer, so southern seasons are the more severe." So southern summers are warmer and southern winters are colder.

CygnusX-1 said:
According to Magnificent Mars by Ken Croswell, page 72: "Mars is nearest the Sun just before the start of southern summer, so southern seasons are the more severe." So southern summers are warmer and southern winters are colder.
On earth, the seasons of the northern hemisphere are opposite that of the southern. In the quote which hemisphere of Mars is being referred to?

The southern.

Mars is like Earth in that northern winter coincides with southern summer, and as the quote says, Mars is nearest the sun just before the start of southern summer.

CygnusX-1 said:

That could make sense; the more elliptical the orbit, the greater would be this effect.
This leads to the question why the tilt of the axis (Earth's too) happens, coincidentally to line up with the major axis of the orbital ellipse. Is there some sort of locking mechanism at work or is it just luck. Or, is it to do with the geometry and timing of the elliptical orbit and the fact that the focus (Sun) is not at the centre of the ellipse? I tried a sketch but it didn't help me.

It's just luck.

The direction the Earth's axis points varies over a period of 23,000 years due to precession. From page 88 of Ken Croswell's book Magnificent Mars: "Precession causes a planet to wobble, altering where its axis points–in particular, which hemisphere leans sunward when the planet nears the Sun." Right now the Earth is closest to the Sun in early January, but in 11,500 years that will occur in early July.

Likes sophiecentaur
Aren't our pole at different temps? Or am I missing the point of the post?

The altitude difference is around 6 kilometers.

I remember hearing about this in an NPR interview with an areologist. The spherical cow joke is hard to forget.

Likes JMz
Yes, I believe the altitude difference is the dominant effect.

BTW, for those who enjoy spherical cows, and especially those with a taste for astrophysical analysis (and Prof. Chandra), see a famous article on elevator operation: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1972QJRAS..13...63C.

Simon Peach said:
Aren't our pole at different temps? Or am I missing the point of the post?
I did sort of assume that connection in my OP. :smile:

Since Mars has almost no atmosphere compared to earth, E3SM does not apply to mars. Temperature variance should be dominated by the integrated effects of orbital inclination, albedo and thermal emissivity of the martian surface.

E3SM = ...?

Quite right, of course. :-) I had imagined it was a term of art within some small (PF-only?) community.

1. Why are the North and South poles of Mars at different temperatures?

The North and South poles of Mars experience different temperatures due to the planet's axial tilt. Mars has a tilt of 25 degrees, which means that during its orbit around the sun, one pole is tilted towards the sun while the other is tilted away. This results in one pole receiving more direct sunlight and therefore being warmer than the other.

2. How much of a temperature difference is there between the North and South poles of Mars?

The temperature difference between the North and South poles of Mars can vary depending on the season. On average, the North pole is about 10-20 degrees Celsius warmer than the South pole. During the Martian summer, this temperature difference can be even greater.

3. What factors contribute to the different temperatures at the poles of Mars?

Aside from the planet's axial tilt, the poles of Mars also experience different temperatures due to their geographic locations. The North pole is located at a lower elevation and is surrounded by a vast, flat plain known as Vastitas Borealis. This allows for more sunlight to be absorbed and retained, resulting in warmer temperatures. The South pole, on the other hand, is located at a higher elevation and is surrounded by a hilly terrain, causing it to receive less direct sunlight and be colder.

4. How do scientists measure the temperatures at the poles of Mars?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to measure the temperatures at the poles of Mars. One method is through remote sensing, using orbiting spacecraft to gather data on temperature variations. Another method is through landers or rovers, which can directly measure temperature at the surface. Scientists also use climate models to simulate and predict temperature changes at the poles.

5. How do the temperatures at the poles of Mars affect the planet's climate?

The temperature differences at the poles of Mars play a significant role in the planet's climate. The warm temperatures at the North pole result in the formation of a permanent polar ice cap made of water and carbon dioxide. The colder temperatures at the South pole allow for the formation of a seasonal ice cap, which grows and shrinks with the changing seasons. This ice also affects the planet's albedo, or reflectivity, and can influence the global climate patterns on Mars.