Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News North Korea about to launch ICBM test and/or space satellite

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/world/asia/04korea.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2
    I was thinking what's preventing them to attack North Korea. Longer they wait, harder it gets to attack NK IMO.

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    Since the only place in the U.S. that this missle could reach is Alaska I would guess that the current administration will do little to prevent the launch:rofl:

Seriously though the thought of a nuclear tipped missle in the hands of that mad man are a very sobering although but I don't see how he can be stopped without some sort of attack and I am sure that would provoke an all out war with North Korea and I don't think that we or the rest of the world are prepared for that.

Who was it that said "The trouble with politicians is they always leave us with one more war to fight"

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

mheslep

Gold Member

That's the ~1000kg payload. The 100kg payload can reach anywhere.

6. Apr 4, 2009 #5
    Why should they attack? Just let NK boast and the trade embargo takes care of the rest. Sure NK may have a nuke, but they know that using it will be their demise.

7. Apr 4, 2009 #6
    North Korea is within China's sphere. They get some use allowing Kim the Ill a long leash. He seems to be their test monkey.

8. Apr 4, 2009 #7

There have been sanctions imposed against North Korea since the Korean War. Since 2007 (maybe a little later), the U.S. has placed severe embargoes on NK. Has this stopped them from creating these missiles?

9. Apr 4, 2009 #8
    No, I guess not, but what difference does it make? If they want to make missiles and let their people starve, so be it. We have much more important issues to solve. I just don't see, what makes their actions newsworthy.

10. Apr 4, 2009 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A few things, I assume.

The most obvious serious problem is that they are firing the vehicle for a weapon of mass destruction through Japanese airspace -- a nation with which they have a tense relationship -- and I believe without permission as well.

There's also a symbolic bit of firing towards the United States.

And also, there is the sticky issue that their leader is widely believed to be unstable -- so any capability (and demonstration) of the ability to use said weapons is worrysome.

Oh, and from the news article, this would seem to be a direct challenge to the international community that has banned NK From firing such missles.

11. Apr 4, 2009 #10
    But the sea is also in the East, so it could also be a coincidence. And you can choose whether it is symbolical or not.

Looks like China isn't a part of the consensus within the international community. Without China there is little that can be done to NK.

12. Apr 4, 2009 #11
    True, the sea is in the east, but why send it over Japan and cause commotion, when they could have sent it over China, or Russia and avoid world condemnation?

13. Apr 4, 2009 #12
    I can't blame China for worrying about a refugee crisis if war comes a knockin on NK's door. Still, there's a lot that can be done without China's blessings, including forceful action.

14. Apr 4, 2009 #13
    I guess one shouldn't bite the feeding hand.

15. Apr 4, 2009 #14
    Such as?

16. Apr 4, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Japan has stated that they will shoot it down if it enters their airspace. NK has threatened to retaliate if that happens.

http://mb.com.ph/articles/201205/north-korea-threatens-retaliate [Broken]

There is also concern that it may not be carrying a satellite. Given the posture of NK, we have to assume that it could be anything. For one, we have to assume that they might try to nuke Japan. If it is true that it could reach the mainland US with a smaller payload, then that is certainly a huge concern. How do we know it doesn't have a smaller payload than claimed?

I almost think we should destroy it where it sits. But we may well destroy it after launch. We already have a good bit of the Navy sitting nearby and waiting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  17. Apr 4, 2009 #16
    Can they do that? This is an ICBM - as far as I know, there is no practical way to shoot one down after the boost stage.

I think I agree.

18. Apr 4, 2009 #17
    C'mon. That is a rather bold assumption. Do you have any facts to support that?

19. Apr 4, 2009 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He never said it was the most likely possibility -- he simply said we have to assume it.

20. Apr 4, 2009 #19
    Ok, but would you disagree, if we base our actions on the most likely possibility? In any case you have to have at least some evidence to back up all assumptions regardless of their likelihood.

21. Apr 4, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a military matter. We have to consider all possibilities and provide for a reaction in each case. I seriously doubt that anyone could put hard numbers on the "likelihood" of each possibility - esp given that we are dealing with a madman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook