North Korea - another nuclear weapon test

In summary, North Korea apparently detonated a nuclear weapon - again. South Korean officials said after monitors detected unusual seismic activity near the North's northeastern nuclear test site.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
North Korea apparently detonated a nuclear weapon - again.

M5.3 Explosion - 19km ENE of Sungjibaegam, North Korea
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006n8a#executive
2016-09-09 00:30:01 UTC 41.298°N 129.015°E 0.0 km depth

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea on Friday conducted its fifth atomic test, producing its biggest-ever explosive yield, South Korean officials said after monitors detected unusual seismic activity near the North's northeastern nuclear test site.

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement that "artificial seismic waves" from a quake measuring 5.0 were detected near the Punggye-ri test site.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/monitors-report-unusual-seismic-activity-north-korea-005818504.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/key-dates-north-korean-history-weapons-development-052748683.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thus: the US is at war with a nuclear power.

.Scott said:

That's correct. And if DPRK keeps with launching rockets at Japan that may or may not contain a nuclear warhead, sooner or later it may well become the beneficiary of some rapid US disarmament, and turned into 46,000 square miles of glass inhabited by a few dozen glowing cockroaches. And China will then have its long desired buffer zone.

Likes edward and mheslep
It doesn't seem feasible to me that the DPRK could manage a missile with a nuclear warhead in the next couple decades. The uranium weapon Little Boy had mass five tons, while the DPRK missile designs apparently have a payload of less than one ton. I suspect getting into the nuclear missile business requires lower mass thermonuclear weapons, or much higher missile payloads, or both. DPRK is not close to either. If that maniac is determined to attack Japan or S Korea, then floating a barge into a harbor seems more likely.

Last edited:
Likes OCR
.Scott said:
*Cold* war perhaps. Otherwise the definition of war has lost touch with what it meant in WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.

mheslep said:
*Cold* war perhaps. Otherwise the definition of war has lost touch with what it meant in WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan.
There was a big difference between (WWI and WWII) versus (Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan). Those first two wars were "all out" and involved life changes to almost all Americans.

By comparison, the later three were (along with many others) were limited expeditions. We sent troops over while keeping a wary eye on other global powers.

So, including "cold", I would say there are at least three types of "war".

And then there were the half wars - where a neighbor attacks Israel, Israel defends too well, and the superpowers decide the war needs to end before it is resolved on the battle field. Q: What's worse than finding a worm in your apple? A: Fighting half a war!

I start with American troops being sent into harms way. The other differences are a matter of degree. These are significant but secondary.

mheslep said:
I start with American troops being sent into harms way. The other differences are a matter of degree. These are significant but secondary.
I believe @.Scott is referring to the paperwork issue whereby we are still technically engaged in The Korean War.

russ_watters said:
I believe @.Scott is referring to the paperwork issue whereby we are still technically engaged in The Korean War.
Thanks, I'd forgotten.

russ_watters said:
To add to the "paperwork", they are currently holding a fully commissioned US Navy Ship.

.Scott said:
To add to the "paperwork", they are currently holding a fully commissioned US Navy Ship.
That's part of the same paperwork issue. I doubt anyone is expecting we are going to get it back. We also have a handful of captured ships (subs) of about the same age that the Germans aren't asking to have back. When the peace treaty gets signed, they'll just strike it from the register as a casualty of the war.

1. What prompted North Korea to conduct another nuclear weapon test?

The main reason for North Korea's nuclear weapon testing is to demonstrate its military capabilities and show its strength to the rest of the world. North Korea's leader, Kim Jong-un, has also stated that these tests are necessary for their national defense and security.

2. How does North Korea's nuclear weapon testing affect the rest of the world?

North Korea's nuclear weapon testing is a major concern for the international community as it poses a threat to global peace and stability. It also increases tensions with neighboring countries and raises the risk of nuclear proliferation.

3. Is North Korea's nuclear weapon technology advanced?

While North Korea has made significant progress in its nuclear capabilities, it is not considered to have the same level of technology as other nuclear-armed countries such as the United States, Russia, and China. However, their continuous testing and development suggest that they are working towards improving their technology.

4. What are the potential consequences of North Korea's nuclear weapon testing?

There are a few potential consequences of North Korea's nuclear weapon testing. It could lead to further economic sanctions and isolation from the international community. There is also a concern that a miscalculation or misunderstanding could lead to a military confrontation. Additionally, there is the risk of accidental nuclear detonation or leakage of nuclear materials.

5. Can diplomatic efforts be successful in stopping North Korea's nuclear weapon testing?

Diplomatic efforts have been made in the past to stop North Korea's nuclear weapon testing, but they have not been successful. However, it is still important to continue diplomatic efforts and negotiations to find a peaceful solution and prevent further escalation of tensions. It is also crucial for the international community to work together and put pressure on North Korea to halt their nuclear program.