1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not a homwork problem, Fresnel Equations

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was just curious, I know you can derive the critical angle using Snell's law..but could you use it using the Fresnel Equations of reflection, both of them?

2. Relevant equations
    |r|=1 internal reflection of light
    r(tm)=(n1cos(theta-i)-n2cos(theta-t))/(n1cos(theta-i)+n2cos(theta-t))
    r(te)=(n2cos(theta-t)-n1cos(theta-t))/(n1cos(theta-t)+n2cos(theta-i))
    I'm putting theta-t and theta-i to denote incident angle and transmittance angle

supposed to arrive at crit angle=arcsin(n2/n1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    r(te)=
    [(n2cos(theta-t)-n1cos(theta-t))/(n1cos(theta-t)+n2cos(theta-i))]^2=1

r(tm)=
    [(n1cos(theta-i)-n2cos(theta-t))/(n1cos(theta-i)+n2cos(theta-t))]^2=1

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

## R=1 ## at the critical angle because ## cos(\theta_t) =0 ## since ## \theta_t=90 \, degrees ##. I think it is necessary to use Snell's law to compute the critical angle ## \theta_i=\theta_c ##. For ## \theta_i ## greater than the critical angle, ## \theta_t ## does not exist. ## \\ ## Note: In your very first equation of part 3, I think the first "theta-t" should be a "theta-i". ## \\ ## Additional note: To get Latex, you need to put " ## " on both sides of the expression.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted