Finding Fresnel coefficients from the interface conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses an incident electric field and the two cases of polarization: perpendicular to the incidence plane (TE) and in the plane (TM). The goal is to correctly apply limit conditions and find Fresnel formulas for the amplitudes of the reflected (Er) and refracted (Et) electric fields as a function of the incident field amplitude (Ei), angle of incidence (ai), angle of refraction (ar), and constants for the two polarizations. The relevant equations are those found on the internet, but they may not be suitable for this specific problem. The conversation also mentions the tangential components of E and H being equal at both sides of an interface, which is derived from Maxwell's equations and Stokes'
Cathr

Homework Statement

We have an incident electric field, and there are two cases:
1) the field is polasised perpendicularly to the incidence plane (TE)
2) polarised in the plane (TM)

Here I must be able to correctly apply the limit conditions, to find the Fresnel formulas that give the amplitudes of the electric fields Er (reflected), Et (refracted) as a function of: Ei (incident field amplitude), ai (I meant so say alpha i, the angle of incidence) and ar (angle of refraction) and the constants that caracterise the environment for the two polarisations TE and TM.

Homework Equations

E2-E1=0 or D2-D1=sigma
B2-B1=0 H2-H1=j

The Attempt at a Solution

The relevant equations are the ones I found on the internet, to show what kind of equations I am looking for, but they are not adapted for this problem. I am not quite sure why the components of E that is parallel to the interface should be equal, and the ones perpendicular sshound be proportional, or maybe I'm wrong. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cathr said:
I am not quite sure why the components of E that is parallel to the interface should be equal, and the ones perpendicular sshound be proportional, or maybe I'm wrong. Please help.
The tangential components of both E and H are the same at both sides of an interface. It comes from Maxwell's equations curl E=-∂B/∂t and curl H =∂D/∂t, integrating them over an area that encloses the interface and applying Stokes' theorem.
You need to apply the boundary conditions for the tangential field components only. for the electric field E in case of TE waves, and for the magnetic field strength H in case of the TM waves.

Likes Cathr

1. What are Fresnel coefficients and why are they important in interface conditions?

Fresnel coefficients are complex numbers that describe the reflection and transmission of light at an interface between two materials with different refractive indices. They are important in interface conditions because they determine the amount of light that is reflected or transmitted at the interface, which can significantly affect the behavior of light in optical systems.

2. How do you calculate Fresnel coefficients from interface conditions?

The Fresnel coefficients can be calculated using the Fresnel equations, which are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the incident, reflected, and transmitted light at an interface. These equations take into account the angle of incidence, polarization, and the refractive indices of the two materials.

3. What is the difference between the Fresnel coefficients for p-polarized and s-polarized light?

The Fresnel coefficients for p-polarized light describe the reflection and transmission of light that is polarized parallel to the plane of incidence (the plane containing the incident and reflected rays). The Fresnel coefficients for s-polarized light describe the reflection and transmission of light that is polarized perpendicular to the plane of incidence.

4. How do the Fresnel coefficients change with different materials at the interface?

The Fresnel coefficients are dependent on the refractive indices of the two materials at the interface. As the refractive indices of the materials change, the Fresnel coefficients will also change, resulting in different amounts of reflection and transmission of light at the interface.

5. Can the Fresnel coefficients be experimentally determined?

Yes, the Fresnel coefficients can be experimentally determined by measuring the amount of reflected and transmitted light at an interface between two materials with known refractive indices. This data can then be used to calculate the Fresnel coefficients using the Fresnel equations.