1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not all functions have Asymptotes, right?

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    I was just wondering about asymptotes. I know that the symptotes for 1/f(x) for example is established by isolating f(x) and setting f(x)=0.

However, I was wondering if non-reciprocal functions such as f(x)=x or f(x)=x^2 have asymptotes. I was thinking "no" because there is no axis that they approach but do not intersect.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

ln x which is a non-reciprocal function has a vertical aymptote at x=0. And so do tan x, sec x, cosec x.

EDIT: Okay, so maybe tan x, sec x and cosec x doesn't count because they are defined as a fraction of functions.

The two functions you describe do not have asymptotes.

4. Jun 27, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f(x) can be said to have an asymptote, y=x, if you are generous in the wording of the definition of asymptote and allow asymptotes that aren't vertical or horizontal. f(x)=x^2 definitely doesn't have any. exp(x) has a horizontal asymptote. Isn't that a 'non-reciprocal' function? You just need to be clear about the exact definition of asymptote and apply it to each function.

5. Jun 27, 2008 #4
    Oh, that's right. f(x)=2^x does have a horizontal asymptote. And yes, I was thinking more of having either horizontal or vertical asymptotes.

Thank you very much.

How about the case of f(x)=square root of x, or f(x)=absolute value of x?

Because these the former touches the y-axis but can't have a x value less than zero; whilst the latter touches the x-axis but can't have a y value less than zero. Can these be defined as asymptotes or would I just define their limits in the set notation?

6. Jun 27, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f(x)=sqrt(x), no. For f(x)=|x|, again, you have to look at the exact wording of your definition of 'asymptote'. It's more of a technical legal question. Not everyone uses exactly the same one all the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?