1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not going to grad school directly

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    Is not going to grad school, right after undergrad, going to hurt one's chances at getting into any graduate program at some other point in the future?

I think I would want to go (maths/physics/stats) but I would like to teach for a few years first.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I started grad school a year and a half after I graduated, and I think that helped. It let my application get one more term of grades in. I worked in the days, and spent the evenings studying, so I smoked the GRE.

As the gap gets longer, I would be more and more worried. You are getting more distant from the material, you're becoming a more distant memory in the people writing your recommendations, and frankly, it's easy to get used to things like money and free time, neither of which is plentiful in grad school.

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    Reasonable points. At least, now I know it's possible to do that.

Well, can one not just use recommendation letters that were written at the time of graduation a year or two after?

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, you don't get to hold on to (or even read) the letters. A year is not a problem. But the longer it goes, the more likely that the professor has misplaced them, or has retired, or whatever. But if you don't apply right away, the letters won't even exist, and memories fade.

6. Sep 19, 2011 #5
    I understand. It does make sense that the writers should be sending those directly.

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook