Not really understanding p orbitals

• Thread starter Dan Monaghan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbitals
In summary, the conversation discussed the representations of orbitals around atoms and molecules, specifically the s and p orbitals. The s orbital forms a spherical shape around the nucleus, while the p orbital has a baseball bat-like appearance and represents the general space of where the electrons in the valence shell could be found. The electron moves in a wave format through these spaces, known as the wave function. The conversation also clarified that the electron can be found on either side of the nucleus but not in the plane of the nucleus.
Dan Monaghan
Hi.

I'm taking o-chem this trimester and we're reviewing some stuff from the end of gen chem last tri that I probably should have had down, but it's not making sense.

It's the representations of orbitals around atoms and molecules. I get the s orbital. At least I think so. It forms a spherical shape around the nucleus of the atom. Now, that represents the general area of where the electron could be. Now as we move down the rows of the periodic table towards the right and have more and more valence electrons in the outer shell this changes to a p orbital. Also, let's forget about f and d orbitals for right now. The p orbitals have this weird baseball bat-like appearance. Now this is the representation for the general space of where those electrons in that valence shell could be. Am I right?

Now when the electron moves through these "general spaces," they move in a wave format, hence the term wave function.

Have I missed anything or is what I said correct?

I have more questions about this, but I think I should start off slow.

thanks in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Dan Monaghan said:
Hi.

I'm taking o-chem this trimester and we're reviewing some stuff from the end of gen chem last tri that I probably should have had down, but it's not making sense.

It's the representations of orbitals around atoms and molecules. I get the s orbital. At least I think so. It forms a spherical shape around the nucleus of the atom. Now, that represents the general area of where the electron could be. Now as we move down the rows of the periodic table towards the right and have more and more valence electrons in the outer shell this changes to a p orbital. Also, let's forget about f and d orbitals for right now. The p orbitals have this weird baseball bat-like appearance. Now this is the representation for the general space of where those electrons in that valence shell could be. Am I right?

Yes. The orbital represents the area in which you can find the electron with 90% probability (i.e. 90% of the time, the electron will be in the baseball bat-like area).

Now when the electron moves through these "general spaces," they move in a wave format, hence the term wave function.

Correct. The wave-like nature of the electron is necessary to explain the fact that the electron can be on either side of the nucleus (in either lobe of the orbital), yet it is impossible to find the electron in the plane of the nucleus.

thanks.

1. What are p orbitals?

P orbitals are one of the three types of atomic orbitals, along with s and d orbitals. They are represented by dumbbell-shaped regions of space around the nucleus and describe the probability of finding an electron in a particular energy level and orientation.

2. How many p orbitals are there in an atom?

There are a total of three p orbitals in an atom: px, py, and pz. These orbitals are oriented along the x, y, and z axes, respectively, and have the same energy level.

3. What is the shape of a p orbital?

A p orbital has a dumbbell shape, with a node (or region of zero electron probability) at the nucleus and two lobes extending in opposite directions along the designated axis. The shape of a p orbital is a result of the wave-like behavior of electrons.

4. How does the number of p orbitals in an atom change with increasing energy level?

The number of p orbitals in an atom remains constant at three, regardless of the energy level. However, as the energy level increases, the size and shape of the p orbitals also increase, resulting in more complex and elongated dumbbell shapes.

5. What is the significance of p orbitals in chemical bonding?

P orbitals play a key role in chemical bonding, particularly in covalent bonding. They allow for the formation of multiple bonds between atoms, such as double and triple bonds, by overlapping and sharing electrons. P orbitals also contribute to the overall shape and geometry of molecules.