Not so independent investigation?

• News
  • Thread starter EL
  • Start date
EL
Science Advisor
solutions in a box said:
Who do you good people think should do the investigation?????
The important thing is to have people from different backgrounds in the committee. Like one republican, one democrat, one person from FEMA, one journalist, one priest, one New Orleans citizen, one foreign representative from UN, and so on...and the leader must of course be politically unbounded.

DM
It's pretty obvious that Bush publicly announced that he would conduct a PERSONAL investigation only to reassure Americans that he STILL (to the supporting half) holds power and credibility. It's crucial that he becomes the central person in this investigation for he also wishes to reinforce the idea that he's a responsible president.

Last edited:
SOS2008
Gold Member
TRCSF said:
Yes, there's a Medal of Freedom. Bush awarded it to Tenet for all the work he did on investigating WMDs in Iraq, after it was found out there weren't any WMDs in Iraq.

I don't know if the medal had any credibility before, but it sure doesn't now. That's like giving the Nobel Peace Prize to Osama bin Laden.
I know, I was going to make a joke about the Medal of Freedom in general, in that it seems to be a fake medal to praise the fake.
EL said:
I have now had a good nights sleep, but I still can't understand how this could happen??? In a country who claims to defend FREEDOM...I really can't get it no matter how many times I think about it.

How come that so many just seem to accept this? How come the president hasn't been fired yet? How come the americans have not stormed the White House?

I really don't want to think most americans are stupid, but could someone then explain to me how a statement like this could be accepted by the public?
First is the problem of political activism being viewed negatively in the U.S. Then there is preoccupation with day-to-day survival in American life, and many who are spoiled and self obsessed in this process. To get people to be appalled enough to demonstrate means pulling them away from their jobs, running their errands, and watching their favorite TV show. So though protests do occur regularly, these are often small and rarely get media attention--I think Cindy Sheehan has been the first to get on the news, not to mention getting Bush's attention (there's an achievement!).

Skyhunter
solutions in a box said:
Any investigation should be done from outside of the Whitehouse. Let the Corp of Engineers do it. There is a much greater chance that they will be truer to themselves and true to the nation. But there is no guarantee.

Who do you good people think should do the investigation?????
I nominate Russ and Astronuc.

Skyhunter
SOS2008 said:
Oh I wish we could do that here (maybe if I visualize it, it will become reality...or if not, It'll be a nice visual just the same :tongue: ).
There's such a thing as a Medal of Freedom? I mean...well I'll just leave it at that.
Yes it is the highest civilian honor the government can bestow. I guess you have to preside over the biggest intelligence failure in history, or fix the the facts and intelligence to fit a predetermined policy or both in order to qualify.

Skyhunter
DM said:
It's pretty obvious that Bush publicly announced that he would conduct a PERSONAL investigation only to reassure Americans that he STILL (to the supporting half) holds power and credibility. It's crucial that he becomes the central person in this investigation for he also wishes to reinforce the idea that he's a responsible president.
:rofl: :rofl: If he wants to portray himself as responsible I have an idea....How about assuming responsibility!!!!

SOS2008
Gold Member
Well Georgie's little ploy didn't work. Within the day his announcement to oversee a probe was criticized and other investigations are to take place. This Katrina disaster isn't giving him the camouflage that 9-11 did, and now his ratings are such that he is exposed to scrutiny. Perhaps what comes around goes around, eh?