Not such a big fan of chemistry, what about ChemE?

In summary: Chemical engineering does place an emphasis on bench chemistry, but you will not be working with liquids and beakers all the time. You will design machines and work with materials.
leumas614
I am graduating soon with a BA in chemistry and after 4 years I decided it's not a subject I particularly like. I don't want to do any more bench chemistry (working with liquids and beakers and pipettes and titrations).

I am thinking about chemical engineering though and I was wondering, is it possible to not like chemistry but actually like being a chemical engineer? How different are the two fields? Also is there some overlap with mechanical like designing machines because that is something I think is interesting also. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
leumas614, you really put yourself in a tough situation being stubborn enough to not have chosen a different (although possibly related) direction sooner. Could you postpone your graduation until you have enough units of Engineering to earn a degree in Chemical Engineering? Maybe use related scientific courses to qualify as some kind of technician or maybe programmer who does not necessarily work directly in a chemical laboratory?

materials science programs accept chemists. Chemical engineering will also accept you, but you will probably have to take a few undergrad courses.

In my opinion, if you liked it enough to do all the coursework and major in it to begin with there is probably something behind that. Did you ever try working in a professor's lab?

Well the reason I majored in chemistry is because I was initially pre-med and a bio major but decided at the beginning of my 3rd year that I would rather be an engineer. Unfortunately there is no engineering program at my school so I had to choose between chem and physics so I can apply to grad school in engineering and take some make-up courses after I graduate. I would have rather majored in physics but I was closer to a chem degree and majoring in physics would have meant spending 6 years as an undergraduate in a private school with high tuition.

I have 3 years of intense bench chemistry research which is one of the reasons why I don't like it anymore! So my question is, does chemical engineering place an emphasis on bench chemistry or is it more physics like mechanical engineering? This fall I am taking intermediate level physics and math classes. Thanks

1. What is the difference between chemistry and chemical engineering?

Chemistry is a branch of science that focuses on the composition, properties, and reactions of substances on a molecular level. Chemical engineering, on the other hand, applies chemistry principles to design, develop, and optimize processes that involve the production, transformation, and use of chemicals and materials.

2. Is chemical engineering a more practical and applicable field compared to chemistry?

Chemical engineering is a highly practical and applicable field that often involves hands-on work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and energy. While chemistry can also be applied in these industries, it is more focused on research and development rather than the production and optimization of processes.

3. Will I need a strong background in chemistry to study chemical engineering?

A basic understanding of chemistry is necessary for studying chemical engineering, but the focus of the field is more on the application of chemical principles rather than theoretical knowledge. As long as you have a strong foundation in math and science, you can succeed in the field of chemical engineering.

4. Can I still work in the chemical industry with a degree in chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a highly versatile field that opens up a wide range of career opportunities in the chemical industry. Graduates with a degree in chemical engineering can work in various roles such as process engineers, research and development chemists, quality control analysts, and production managers.

5. Is chemical engineering a good choice for someone who loves chemistry but wants a more practical career?

Yes, chemical engineering can be a great career choice for someone who enjoys chemistry but wants to apply their knowledge in a more practical and hands-on way. Chemical engineers work on real-world problems and help develop processes that make an impact on society, making it a fulfilling and rewarding career path.