1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not such a big fan of chemistry, what about ChemE?

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    I am graduating soon with a BA in chemistry and after 4 years I decided it's not a subject I particularly like. I don't want to do any more bench chemistry (working with liquids and beakers and pipettes and titrations).

I am thinking about chemical engineering though and I was wondering, is it possible to not like chemistry but actually like being a chemical engineer? How different are the two fields? Also is there some overlap with mechanical like designing machines because that is something I think is interesting also. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

leumas614, you really put yourself in a tough situation being stubborn enough to not have chosen a different (although possibly related) direction sooner. Could you postpone your graduation until you have enough units of Engineering to earn a degree in Chemical Engineering? Maybe use related scientific courses to qualify as some kind of technician or maybe programmer who does not necessarily work directly in a chemical laboratory?

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3
    materials science programs accept chemists. Chemical engineering will also accept you, but you will probably have to take a few undergrad courses.

5. Jul 5, 2008 #4
    In my opinion, if you liked it enough to do all the coursework and major in it to begin with there is probably something behind that. Did you ever try working in a professor's lab?

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5
    Well the reason I majored in chemistry is because I was initially pre-med and a bio major but decided at the beginning of my 3rd year that I would rather be an engineer. Unfortunately there is no engineering program at my school so I had to choose between chem and physics so I can apply to grad school in engineering and take some make-up courses after I graduate. I would have rather majored in physics but I was closer to a chem degree and majoring in physics would have meant spending 6 years as an undergraduate in a private school with high tuition.

I have 3 years of intense bench chemistry research which is one of the reasons why I don't like it anymore! So my question is, does chemical engineering place an emphasis on bench chemistry or is it more physics like mechanical engineering? This fall I am taking intermediate level physics and math classes. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?