1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not sure which field of Electrical Engineering I should be going into.

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    I'm in my first year, which is a HNC. I'm currently thinking of what I'd like to do once I graduate, my idea is to get a job in doing the field of electrical engineering I like most, then maybe starting a company in doing that once I felt confident in what I was doing. I'm just unsure of what the world needs and I can imagine it'd be very hard to start a company inventing some useful product. I'd like to find a career that had a little programming in it, then apply it to my electrical engineering knowledge learned from college. The question is, what does the world need?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2
    I suggest working for a while to figure out what is needed. Working as a salesman for engineers is a great place to learn such things. You get to meet lots of people, you see lots of places and work being done, and then you can figure out what products would be a total win.

However, to actually engineer a real product, you'll need experience doing that as well. So you might want to spend some time learning how people actually design stuff. I know of almost nobody who graduated from engineering school and immediately went in to building a high demand product.

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3
    What the world needs is competent people. They are not as common as you would think. You are more likely to be a competent person if you are passionate about what you are doing.

My suggestion is to see which of your courses really resonates with you and pursue that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook