Not sure which field of Electrical Engineering I should be going into.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Cryptex
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm in my first year, which is a HNC. I'm currently thinking of what I'd like to do once I graduate, my idea is to get a job in doing the field of electrical engineering I like most, then maybe starting a company in doing that once I felt confident in what I was doing. I'm just unsure of what the world needs and I can imagine it'd be very hard to start a company inventing some useful product. I'd like to find a career that had a little programming in it, then apply it to my electrical engineering knowledge learned from college. The question is, what does the world need?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest working for a while to figure out what is needed. Working as a salesman for engineers is a great place to learn such things. You get to meet lots of people, you see lots of places and work being done, and then you can figure out what products would be a total win.

However, to actually engineer a real product, you'll need experience doing that as well. So you might want to spend some time learning how people actually design stuff. I know of almost nobody who graduated from engineering school and immediately went into building a high demand product.
 
What the world needs is competent people. They are not as common as you would think. You are more likely to be a competent person if you are passionate about what you are doing.

My suggestion is to see which of your courses really resonates with you and pursue that.