Not sure which field of Electrical Engineering I should be going into.

In summary: From there, gain experience in that field and build your skills. Eventually, you can use your programming and electrical engineering knowledge to create a product that the world needs.In summary, the speaker suggests gaining experience in the field of electrical engineering and possibly working as a salesman for engineers to learn what products are in demand. They also recommend gaining experience in designing products before starting a company. Ultimately, it is important to find a field that one is passionate about and use their skills to become a competent individual who can create products that the world needs.
Cryptex
I'm in my first year, which is a HNC. I'm currently thinking of what I'd like to do once I graduate, my idea is to get a job in doing the field of electrical engineering I like most, then maybe starting a company in doing that once I felt confident in what I was doing. I'm just unsure of what the world needs and I can imagine it'd be very hard to start a company inventing some useful product. I'd like to find a career that had a little programming in it, then apply it to my electrical engineering knowledge learned from college. The question is, what does the world need?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest working for a while to figure out what is needed. Working as a salesman for engineers is a great place to learn such things. You get to meet lots of people, you see lots of places and work being done, and then you can figure out what products would be a total win.

However, to actually engineer a real product, you'll need experience doing that as well. So you might want to spend some time learning how people actually design stuff. I know of almost nobody who graduated from engineering school and immediately went into building a high demand product.

What the world needs is competent people. They are not as common as you would think. You are more likely to be a competent person if you are passionate about what you are doing.

My suggestion is to see which of your courses really resonates with you and pursue that.

1. What are the different fields of Electrical Engineering?

The different fields of Electrical Engineering include power systems, electronics, telecommunications, control systems, and computer engineering.

2. What are the job opportunities in each field of Electrical Engineering?

The job opportunities vary in each field, but in general, power systems engineers work with the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity, electronics engineers work with electronic devices and systems, telecommunications engineers work with communication systems, control systems engineers work with automation and robotics, and computer engineers work with computer hardware and software.

3. How can I determine which field of Electrical Engineering is best for me?

You can determine which field is best for you by researching each field, talking to professionals in the industry, and considering your interests, strengths, and career goals.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge required for each field of Electrical Engineering?

Yes, each field may require different skills and knowledge. For example, power systems engineers may need a strong understanding of circuit analysis, while computer engineers may need knowledge of programming languages and software design. It is important to research and understand the specific requirements for each field.

5. Can I switch between fields of Electrical Engineering in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between fields in your career. Many engineers have experience in multiple fields and may choose to specialize in one or switch between fields throughout their career. It is important to keep learning and staying updated on new technologies and advancements in the field.