Not understanding trig problem

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
So angle AOG is -270+ x degrees, which is the same as 90- theta.In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of angles AOP and AOG, with the latter being a negative angle. It explains that the standard definition of angles is measured counter-clockwise from the positive x-axis, and clarifies the correct formula for finding the measure of angle AOG as -270 + x degrees or 90 - theta.
Miike012
angle AOP is theta..
let the revolving line start on the pos y-axis and revolve through the angle theta in clock wise direction.
the angle AOG is then 90 - theta..

I don't understand how angle AOG is 90 - theta.. it lookes like 90 + theta to me...?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
AOG is a negative angle.

Ok... so what does that mean? how does that mean it is 90 - theta?

Is the picture you show directly from your book? If so then that formula is NOT correct. You show the angle measured from the positive y-axis but ask about angle AOP when A is on the x-axis.

The standard definition for angles is that positive angles are measured counter-clockwise from the positive x-axis, negative angles are measured clockwise. Let's say that the line OP is "x" degrees below line OA and that OG is "x" degrees to the left of the vertical line. Taking line OAG to be measured clockwise from the positive x-axis, NOT the positive y-axis as shown, the measure of OAG is -(270-x)= -270+ x degrees. The measure of AOP is theta= 360- x. 90- theta= 90-(360- x)= -270+ x

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

2. Why do I struggle with understanding trigonometry problems?

Trigonometry can be difficult for some people because it requires a strong understanding of algebra and geometry. It also involves abstract concepts and requires practice to fully grasp the concepts.

3. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

The best way to improve your understanding of trigonometry is to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. You can also try breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs.

4. Are there any tips for solving trigonometry problems more easily?

Yes, some tips for solving trigonometry problems include memorizing common trigonometric identities, using the Pythagorean theorem, and understanding the basic trigonometric functions and their relationships.

5. How can I check if my answer to a trigonometry problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to double check your work.