Mistake in Exercises for the Feynman Lectures?

suh112
Homework Statement
This is problem 14.1 from "Exercises for the Feynman Lectures on Physics":

14.1 A rigid wheel of radius R is rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface. The plane of the wheel is vertical, and the axis of the wheel is moving horizontally with a speed V relative to the surface. If the axis of the wheel is parallel to the z-axis, V is in the positive x-direction, and ##\theta## the angle through which the wheel has rotated since a certain point P on the rim was in contact with the ground, show that the instantaneous velocity (speed and direction) of the point P is given by
v = V ((1- cos##\theta##)i + (sin ##\theta##) j).
Relevant Equations
v = V ((1- cos##\theta##)i + (sin ##\theta##) j)
It seems to me that the answer should be v = V((1+sinθ)i -(cosθ)j) intuitively since ##V_x## should be zero at θ = −π\2 and should be greatest when the angle is 90 degrees. Similarly, the component of velocity in the y direction should be greatest when the angle ##\theta## is 180 degrees and zero when ##\theta## is 0 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the statement of the question, angle θ is "the angle through which the wheel has rotated since a certain point P on the rim was in contact with the ground". If the wheel rolls without slipping what is the speed of certain point P on the rim relative to the point of contact with the ground? Does the given expression predict that? Does your expression predict that?

Likes SammyS and Orodruin
kuruman said:
According to the statement of the question, angle θ is "the angle through which the wheel has rotated since a certain point P on the rim was in contact with the ground". If the wheel rolls without slipping what is the speed of certain point P on the rim relative to the point of contact with the ground? Does the given expression predict that? Does your expression predict that?
Oh I misread the question. This makes sense thanks.

Likes berkeman and kuruman

1. What are some common mistakes found in exercises for the Feynman Lectures?

Some common mistakes found in exercises for the Feynman Lectures include misinterpretation of the problem statement, incorrect application of formulas, overlooking units, and rounding errors.

2. How can I avoid making mistakes in exercises for the Feynman Lectures?

To avoid making mistakes in exercises for the Feynman Lectures, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement, double-check calculations, pay attention to units, and review your work for any errors before submitting your answers.

3. Are mistakes in exercises for the Feynman Lectures common?

Yes, mistakes in exercises for the Feynman Lectures are common, especially for complex problems that require careful attention to detail. However, making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and can help improve understanding of the material.

4. How should I approach correcting mistakes in exercises for the Feynman Lectures?

To correct mistakes in exercises for the Feynman Lectures, it is important to identify where the error occurred, understand why it happened, and learn from it to avoid making the same mistake in the future. Seeking help from peers or instructors can also be beneficial in understanding and correcting mistakes.

5. What is the significance of learning from mistakes in exercises for the Feynman Lectures?

Learning from mistakes in exercises for the Feynman Lectures is crucial for improving problem-solving skills, understanding concepts more deeply, and building resilience in the face of challenges. By analyzing and correcting mistakes, students can enhance their learning experience and become more proficient in the subject matter.