Notifications (turning e-mail notifications on and off)

  • Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary, when you signed up for PF, you were given the option to turn on or off email notifications. You can disable all email notifications from the watched threads list. You can also disable email notifications on a thread-by-thread basis.
  • #1
Frabjous
Gold Member
1,623
1,970
When I signed up for PF, I used email notifications. I eventually turned them off, but threads that I started watching before that point still email me notifications. I can fix the issue on a case-by-case basis by unwatching then watching a specific thread.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
You can disable them all at once from the watched threads list:
At the top right there is "Manage watched threads" -> "Disable ALL email notifications"

It's also possible to do it more selectively, e.g. page by page:
noemails.png


... or thread by thread by selecting the individual threads instead of "select all", of course.
 
  • Like
Likes dextercioby, Greg Bernhardt, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
  • #3
mfb said:
You can disable them all at once from the watched threads list:
At the top right there is "Manage watched threads" -> "Disable ALL email notifications"

It's also possible to do it more selectively, e.g. page by page:
View attachment 319821

... or thread by thread by selecting the individual threads instead of "select all", of course.
Thanks. I got my behavior by changing my alert preferences.
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 7.03.12 AM.png
 
  • #4
It's funny because I have the opposite problem: I never receive email notifications.

I used to. Never changed a thing. All the boxes in post #3 are checked. One day (years ago), it just stopped. All that is left are the alert on the site itself.

And somehow, once in a while, the notifications stop coming in for one thread. When I happen to go to the thread and read the few posts I've been missing, I'm automatically "back" (I've never been really "off") on the watch list again, without any intervention from my part.

For the email notifications, I might have an explanation unrelated to PF per se. I recently learned that the big free email providers have very aggressive spam policies. When they feel someone is sending spam, they don't just put the emails in the spam folder, they refuse to deliver them, sending back an Email Error 550: High Probability of Spam instead.
 
  • #5
jack action said:
And somehow, once in a while, the notifications stop coming in for one thread. When I happen to go to the thread and read the few posts I've been missing, I'm automatically "back" (I've never been really "off") on the watch list again, without any intervention from my part.
You receive notification only for the first unread post in a thread. Further notifications are suppressed until you visit the thread, unless someone quotes or mentions you (for those, you will always receive individual notifications). You won't receive notifications for further posts in that thread until you go and view all the unread replies.
 
  • #6
jack action said:
It's funny because I have the opposite problem: I never receive email notifications.
Make sure your email is still valid and not rejecting the emails as spam
 
  • #7
My gmail automatically divides my inbox into Primary, Promotions and Spam buckets. Promotions are usually ads. I usually delete everything in Promotions without looking to see what it is.

Might your email notifications from PF be similarly being sent to the wrong bucket?
 
  • #8
Wrichik Basu said:
You receive notification only for the first unread post in a thread.
Once in a while, it doesn't happen for me. For example (since I just learn about the watched thread section), here's what is showing on my watched thread list:

watched.png

Those are all marked unread (out of 14 pages of watched threads). That is because I didn't receive a notification in a while and completely forgot about them. If I just go and read them now, I will most likely be on the notification list again. That will last a while, and it will most likely stop again in the future. It seems to happen to threads that I mostly read and haven't posted for a while, but I really can't find a common behavior to trigger it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Make sure your email is still valid and not rejecting the emails as spam
anorlunda said:
Might your email notifications from PF be similarly being sent to the wrong bucket?
No, that is really not what's happening. Just to make sure, I rechecked my email account: Not only there is nothing in any folders or groups, but I also have no addresses related to PF in my block list AND I have 2 PF addresses in my safe list, namely (obfuscated):
  • admin[]physicsforums[]com
  • pfmail[]physicsforums[]com
Nothing in my safe mailing list, though.

I've added physicsforums.com as the whole domain to my safe sender's list, we'll see if it makes a difference (I have doubts).

As I complained before (here and here), this seems to coincide with a recent upgrade.
 
  • #9
jack action said:
As I complained before (here and here), this seems to coincide with a recent upgrade.
Yup, 'upgrades' frequently do that, unfortunately PF has joined that subset.
 
  • #10
Frabjous said:
Thanks. I got my behavior by changing my alert preferences.
Yes, that changes future threads but not threads already on the watchlist.
jack action said:
(since I just learn about the watched thread section)
It's so much better than email notifications if you visit the website regularly.
 

Similar threads

Replies
7
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
7
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
5
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
8
Views
3K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
4
Views
3K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
18
Views
5K
Back
Top