1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Now i find myself in a bit of an indecision

1. Jun 13, 2009 #1
    I thought i had made my career decision, after transfering engineering school and going from a Computer Engineering program to an Electrical Engineering program. I thought EE was right for me and i enjoyed my first Circuit Class though i didn't do to well the first time.

I haven't taken any Power classes which is right now my main interest in EE but other than that it seems like im missing something else.

Other than EE, i really like Mechanical and Civil Engineering, the design aspects of those disciplines really intrigue me. I've been thinking for a month know if i should stay with the EE degree and then do a second major in either ME or Civil which would possibly make me a much more flexibile engineer.

I love all aspects of Engineering, the math, the Physics and the challenge so i know that Engineering is right for me. Which one exactly i don't know, i thought i had figured it out.

What do you guys suggest i do? and is that second engineering major a viable option?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2009 #2
    So what you guys think if i took me 2 more years to complete a BS in Mechanical Engineering after completing one in EE? and i love both.

4. Jun 13, 2009 #3
    You should stick with EE only and think about a career in Instrumentation and Control engineering. From the way I understand I&C you need to have broad knowledge of the system you are trying to control (Power, Nuclear, Oil&Gas, Utilities, Automotive, Aeronautical etc). Its a good way to get into the Mechanical aspects of engineering. Also, from what I hear, it's only a good idea to get a second BS *If and Only If* the first was non-engineering and the second was.

I switched from Mechanical Engineering to Computer Engineering and now I think I would like to specialize more in Power systems, Processes and Control which is typically the domain of EE's. I will most likely have to do some leg work to land those kinds of positions with a BS in Computer Engineering.

5. Jun 13, 2009 #4
    What did you like/ dislike about Mechanical Engineering??

The ME that they offer at my college, they have some related classes to EE like Power Plant Engineering, Energy Conversion, Automatic Controls, Systems Dynamics, Energy Auditing.

6. Jun 14, 2009 #5
    Im curious to know why is it not a good idea to complete the two grades???

Id really love to know as i have all summer to decide if i need a career change before the 3rd year+ engineering classes start to come in.

7. Jun 15, 2009 #6
    To be honest the switch was more of a "grass is greener" kind of reason but I 110% do not regret the move because it was truly for the right reasons (passions, career interests, academic interests etc). I was also looking for long term creativity in the work I did. I thought software (embedded, scientific, business) might be interesting but I didn't like the long term career prospects.

As for two undergrad degrees I can only ask you to look around. I'm not sure you will find too many people with two undergraduate degrees let alone engineering degrees.

If you don't mind could you tell me the sort of work you would like to be doing in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years etc from now (e.g designing bridges,medical electronics, power plants, refinery plants, car transmission boxes etc). It will help us better understand where your interest lie and how important things like geographic location, salary potential, job security, responsibilty, prestige etc are to you.

8. Jun 15, 2009 #7
    I really enjoy team projects ever since i started out my engineering degree, i see myself doing electrical layout designs on a building or a housing project but i would also like to be involved in water pump designs in the same building. Id like to see myself in a corp of engineers of some sort, or a firm doing work for the local town or city, big or small projects and it includes power plants/refinieries if it applies to that location.

In addition to that i have interest in Robotics and Control, The design of aircraft also intrigue me.

If there was an Engineering that had everything i have interest in, id be physiqued really.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook