1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NSF Fellowship. Do I have a shot?

1. Aug 9, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

I'm going to be a graduate student this fall, and I was thinking about applying for an NSF graduate fellowship. However, after some internet research, I realized that the NSF puts ALOT of weight on "broader impacts". To me, this basically means that you have promoted your science in society such as tutoring/mentoring children from the community or being a teacher's assistant.

I have not done anything like this except some tutoring with my college's science club. Also, I don't have any extracurricular activities. During college, I had to work around 40 hours per week to take care of myself. Luckily, I was able to squeeze in some research experience (2 journal publications). Anyway, do you guys think that I have a chance to get an NSF fellowship? All of the successful essays I've seen have lots of extracurriculars with the community. Does anyone here have the same problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2014 #2
    Do you have a shot if you don't? Just apply.

4. Aug 10, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know that the NSF puts a lot of emphasis on broader impacts, but I do know that if there are none, they are not allowed - by statute - to fund a proposal.

5. Aug 10, 2014 #4
    I don't think you are interpreting broader impacts right . I think it is supposed to be an extension of your personal statement like how is the work you are proposing on doing going to impact society at large. It isn't like undergrad admissions asking if you have volunteered as a missionary in Ghana etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook