Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nth Order Differential Equations

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    We know that there are a few forms for 1st order differential equations. Second-order differential equations have an extra term with an [itex]x[/itex] in it. My conjecture is that third-order differential equations have another extra term with an [itex]x^2[/itex] in it. A friend of mine agrees with this. Is this true and can we following the same pattern for higher order differential equations? If so, is there a proof to this?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2
    What do you mean in writing "We know that there are a few forms for 1st order differential equations" ?
    This seens rather ambiguous. What kind of ODE are you talking about ?
    The general solution of a first order ODE is on the form f(c,x) where c is an arbitrary constant. The form c*f(x) is not the general case : it is only true in the case of linear ODE.
    The general solution of a second order ODE is on the form f(c1,c2;x) where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants. The form c1*f1(x)+c2*f2(x) is not the general case : it is only true in the case of linear ODE.
    The general solution of a third order ODE is on the form f(c1,c2,c3;x) where c1, c2, c3 are arbitrary constants.
    etc.

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The most general way of writing a first order differential equation is f(x, y, y')= 0.
    The most general way of writing a second order differential equation is f(x, y, y', y'')= 0.
    The most general way of writing a differential equation of order n is [itex]f(x, y, y', y'', ..., y^{(n)})= 0[/itex]

I have no idea what you mean by "an extra term with and x in it" nor "another extra term with an [itex]x^2[/itex] in it". The second order equation y''= y has no explicit "x" at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook