Nuclear Doppler broadening of resonances

In summary, nuclear Doppler broadening of resonances is a phenomenon that occurs in nuclear physics when particles with high energy collide with nuclei, causing the resonance peaks in the nuclei's energy levels to broaden. This broadening is due to the Doppler effect, which occurs when the energy of the particles is transferred to the nucleus, causing the resonance to shift to higher or lower energies. This effect is important in understanding nuclear reactions and is often used in experimental techniques to measure the energies of particles and nuclei. It also has implications in fields such as nuclear engineering and astrophysics, where accurate measurements of nuclear energies are crucial.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi,
absorption cross section in resonance depends on the relative speed of neutron and nucleus in Center of Mass frame. As you can see here
https://www.nuclear-power.net/glossary/doppler-broadening/
Temperature plays a big role in determining resonance absorption cross.
I don't understand why the area under the curve remains the same. Can you give some physical insight ?

Thanks
Ric

PS: I have a "feeling" for it, I'd like a "rigorous" logical proof that does not require math. In the book I consulted it is simply stated that the curve can be expressed as a particular function and then it was left to the reader to prove that the integral is independent of temperature. I don't like this approach because the meaning of the function was not explained so I could not get the physical intuition behind it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what the nature of the source is that is getting scattered, but what I believe they are telling you is that if you have a very broadband source that has equal powers for equal energy intervals (or frequencies), that the total scattered power will be independent of temperature. You can either get a lot of scattered power in a very narrow energy (frequency) region, or a little bit of power in each energy interval that occurs over a wide range of energies (or frequencies).

Charles Link said:
what I believe they are telling you is that if you have a very broadband source that has equal powers for equal energy intervals (or frequencies), that the total scattered power will be independent of temperature. You can either get a lot of scattered power in a very narrow energy (frequency) region, or a little bit of power in each energy interval that occurs over a wide range of energies (or frequencies).
But Why ?

Charles Link said:
I am not sure what the nature of the source is that is getting scattered
What source ? I don't understand. Sorry if I poorly stated the question here let me try to make it a little better:

I have neutrons moving inside of a medium. The "probability" of a neutron to be absorbed by the atoms of the medium has some peaks at particular energies. The kinetic energy of the neutron seen by the atom depends on the relative velocity. A temperature change implies a change of atoms' velocity so the relative velocity between the atoms and the neutrons changes. This implies a change in the "probability" (cross section) that a neutron is absorbed near the peak (resonance).

In the total scattering cross section, it doesn't matter how much the particles are scattered. Anything that gets scattered at all by the scatterers is counted as having been scattered. In this scenario, regardless of temperature, the number of scatterers doesn't change. Thereby the total scattering cross section doesn't change. The frequency that each scatterer selects is affected by the temperature, but not the existence of the scatterer.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll be back in a couple of days because I have to study a lot and my brain decided to stop working right now :D

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
In the total scattering cross section
But I'm talking about absorption cross section... it's one specific reaction.

Charles Link said:
Anything that gets scattered at all by the scatterers is counted as having been scattered
Again, I'm only counting the neutron that are absorbed not every neutron that interacts with a nucleus.

Charles Link said:
In this scenario, regardless of temperature, the number of scatterers doesn't change.
Sorry, I'm not following at all...

God, I feel stupid right now :(

I didn't realize you were doing absorption cross section here, but the principles are very similar to scattering cross section. Try reading through this "link" which will tell you all about scattering cross sections. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...a-rutherfords-experiment.965947/#post-6131309 .
Absorption cross sections are actually easier to do because you don't need to worry about what direction the particle goes. It simply gets swallowed up. I think by reading and studying the "link", you might get an understanding for cross sections in general=both the differential one ## \frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega} ##, and the total scattering cross section ## \sigma_{total} ##.
And don't give up. This stuff is normally not written up very well in the textbooks. It took me a long, long time to figure it out. I do think you might find the above "link" very helpful.

1. What is nuclear Doppler broadening of resonances?

Nuclear Doppler broadening of resonances refers to the phenomenon where the energy levels of a nucleus are broadened due to thermal motion. This is caused by the Doppler effect, where the motion of the nucleus causes a shift in the frequency of emitted radiation, resulting in a broadening of the energy levels.

2. How does nuclear Doppler broadening affect nuclear reactions?

Nuclear Doppler broadening can have a significant impact on nuclear reactions. The broadening of energy levels can increase the probability of a reaction occurring, as it allows for a wider range of energies to match the resonance energy of the nucleus. This can also result in a higher reaction rate and more efficient energy production.

3. What factors influence the amount of nuclear Doppler broadening?

The amount of nuclear Doppler broadening is influenced by several factors, including the temperature of the nucleus, the mass of the nucleus, and the energy of the emitted radiation. Higher temperatures, larger nuclei, and higher energy radiation all contribute to greater broadening of energy levels.

4. Is nuclear Doppler broadening only relevant for nuclear reactions?

No, nuclear Doppler broadening is not only relevant for nuclear reactions. It can also have an impact on other processes involving nuclei, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and Mössbauer spectroscopy. In these cases, the broadening of energy levels can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of the nucleus.

5. How is nuclear Doppler broadening of resonances measured?

Nuclear Doppler broadening of resonances can be measured using various techniques, such as gamma-ray spectroscopy or neutron scattering. These methods involve measuring the energy distribution of emitted radiation and analyzing the broadening of energy levels. Computer simulations and mathematical models can also be used to study and predict the effects of nuclear Doppler broadening.