Nuclear Fusion: Radioactive Decay?

In summary, the universally agreed upon definition of radioactive decay is a process where one particle decays into several. However, nuclear fusion is not a decay mode because we need energy as input for such processes.
A M
Radioactive decay modes always release energy;
but why can't nuclear fusion of light elements be a mode of radioactive decay?
I guess because although such processes are exothermic, we need an inaccessible fairly high amount of energy to overcome the electrostatic repulsion barrier.

But now, I'm facing two more challenging questions:
What exactly is the universally agreed upon definition of radioactive decay?
If nuclear fusion is not a decay mode because we need energy as input for such processes, don't we also need energy for splitting a nucleus in [fission] decay modes? (Like SF, CD, α, p.)

[
Note for mentors: These are not my OP questions, they're only some of my questions by which it is better to start discussion. I'll ask the rest during the discussion ]
Edition: fusion is a decay? what a silly idea I had!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would say a decay is a ##1\to n## process. Of course this is just a label that has nothing to do with physics, so I am not sure what the question is actually about.

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
I would say a decay is a 1→n1→n1\to n process.
What do you mean?

I mean a process where 1 particle decays into several (usually 2). That is what the word decay means to me. Fusion starts with two particles (at least).

Yes, I know it's 'decay' after all.
According to nuclear stability, a nucleus is stable if it can't go or hasn't gone under radioactive decay.
It means that stability is not the ability of a nucleus not to change into other nuclei?

Sure, “this particle is stable” does usually not mean “this particle can not undergo interactions” if that is your question.

Iron-56 & nickle-62 have the highest binding energies per nucleon; meaning that if they go under a nuclear reaction changing them to other nuclei, the process is endothermic and thus very unlikely.
So they are usually known as the most stable nuclei.
But according to what you said, how can binding energy per nucleon be a parameter upon which stability of stable nuclei depends?

I am having the feeling we are just discussing nomenclature here. Is there an actual physics question this is building up to? Do you want to as about the use of the word stability in a particular context? Then it would be nice to provide some reference.

1. What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

2. How does nuclear fusion differ from nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion involves combining smaller nuclei to form a larger one, while nuclear fission involves splitting a larger nucleus into smaller ones. Fusion releases more energy per unit mass than fission and produces less radioactive waste.

3. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation. This can occur through alpha, beta, or gamma decay, and results in the transformation of one element into another.

4. How is radioactive decay related to nuclear fusion?

In nuclear fusion, the nuclei of atoms are fused together, creating a new, more stable nucleus. This process can also result in the release of energy and the production of radioactive elements, which then undergo radioactive decay.

5. What are the potential applications of nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. It could also be used for medical purposes, such as in cancer treatments, and in the production of isotopes for various industrial and scientific uses.