Nuclear PP accident in S. Peterburg - how to protect myself?

In summary, there was a radioactive gas leak from a reactor near Sankt Peterburg, Russia. The gases were said to have traveled to Finland and Estonia, but the truth is often not disclosed in these types of accidents. To protect oneself from such accidents, a Geiger counter is the recommended device for measuring radiation levels. The leaked steam was a result of a rupture in a smaller steamline on the turbine side of the plant and poses no public impact. The reactor was quickly shut down and there is no evidence of fuel damage or radioactive release. There is no need for the general public to take any precautions.
Lukenberg
Hello,

I live not really far from Sankt Peterburg(Russia) and yesterday there was accident, where radioactive gas leaked from reactor. They told those gases headed straight to Finland and Estonia, but in these such of accidents truth is never told for people. Like... let's remember Japan. Consequences may had been avoided if truth were told for people.

How can I protect myself from it ? I was googling about measuring it but only found EMF, I guess it's not what I need? What kind of measuring unit do I need and what kind of device can I buy to measure it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you point us to a report of this accident in the media?

Here's a translated article (not that I can vet the source): http://en.news-4-u.ru/near-st-petersburg-the-accident-occurred-at-the-nuclear-power-plant-may-have-leaked-radioactive-steam.html

Geiger counters are the usual detectors for radiation levels.

I found only it in russian: http://en.news-4-u.ru/near-st-petersburg-the-accident-occurred-at-the-nuclear-power-plant-may-have-leaked-radioactive-steam.html

What is difference between EMF and Geiger counters?

A geiger counter is a device for measuring radiation. "EMF" generally stands for "electromagnetic field". They really don't have much to do with each other.

That reactor is an RBMK. Four of the eight still in operation are in Leningrad. All due to close in less than 10 yrs.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nuclear-Fuel-Cycle/Power-Reactors/Appendices/RBMK-Reactors/

We talked about this event on reddit. Based on some translations other users were making, this looks like a rupture of a smaller steamline on the turbine/non-nuclear side of the plant feeding a deaerator. This type of event has no public impact. The steam leak is dangerous internal to the plant to the workers (because high pressure steam cuts human flesh like butter). It's not a radiation hazard, specifically because the only real dangerous radioactive product is N-16, which decays away within a minute or so after leaving the reactor. After the reactor is shut down, it's pretty much all gone.

The operators scrammed the reactor, which removes the primary heat source. Then they likely either performed a rapid cooldown, or shut the main steamline stops, to stop the leak. No evidence or indications of fuel damage, or radioactive release.

You need to do nothing. This is an industrial event at a nuclear plant. Not a nuclear safety event. Based on what I've read.

1. What caused the nuclear power plant accident in S. Petersburg?

The exact cause of the nuclear power plant accident in S. Petersburg is still under investigation. However, it is believed that it was due to a combination of human error and technical malfunctions.

2. Is there a risk of radiation exposure for those living near the accident site?

Yes, there is a risk of radiation exposure for those living near the accident site. It is important to follow the instructions and guidelines provided by the authorities to protect yourself.

3. How far away from the accident site is considered safe?

The safe distance from the accident site can vary depending on the severity of the accident and the direction of the wind. It is best to follow the instructions of the authorities and evacuation orders if necessary.

4. What precautions should I take to protect myself from radiation?

If you are in the affected area, it is important to stay indoors and close all windows and doors. Avoid drinking tap water or eating food that may have been exposed to radiation. It is also recommended to wear a face mask and protective clothing if you need to go outside.

5. What are the long-term effects of radiation exposure?

The long-term effects of radiation exposure can vary and depend on the level of exposure. It can range from minor health effects to more serious ones such as cancer. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms of radiation sickness after the accident.