Number of elements for a given probability?

In summary, we discussed the concept of power sets and how to operate with them. Using the given information that A is a set with 8 elements, B is a set with an unknown number of elements, and A U B has 12 elements, we can calculate the number of elements in P(B\A) U P(∅) to be 16. This is done by first finding the number of elements in B\A, which is 4, and then finding the power set of that set, which is 24. Similarly, the power set of ∅ is 20. Since these two power sets do not intersect, we can simply add their individual sizes to find the total number of elements, which is
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

Let A be a set with 8 elements and B be a set such that A U B has 12 elements. What is the number of elements in P(B\A) U P(∅)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what it means to ask what are the number of elements in a probability.. Is it the number of elements that would represent that probability?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi V0ODO0CH1LD! :smile:
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
… What is the number of elements in P(A\B) U P(∅)?

That P is (probably) the power set, the set of all subsets of the thing inside the brackets. :wink:

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_set)

Okay, I red about power sets but I couldn't find anything on how to operate with them.

Also, can I say that |A U B| = |A| + |B| - |A(intersect)B|?
Because then I could say 12 = 8 + |B| - |A(intersect)B|
Which would imply that 4 = |B| - |A(intersect)B| = |B\A|
And that would mean that P(B\A) U P(∅) = 2^4 + 1 = 17

Is that correct?

Yup! |(B\A)| = 4, so P(B\A) = 24, and P(∅) = 20 = 1 :smile:

(but do they intersect? :wink:)

Thanks a lot! I would think they don't intersect because if |(B\A)| = 4 and |A U B| = 12 and |A| = 8 then that means |B| = 4.

No, i mean, do P(B\A) and P(∅) intersect? :wink:

Ohh! So the answer is actually 16??

Probably! :biggrin:

Ha! Thanks!

What is the significance of the number of elements for a given probability in scientific research?

The number of elements for a given probability is an important factor in scientific research as it determines the reliability and validity of the results. It represents the sample size, which should be large enough to accurately represent the population being studied and to minimize the margin of error.

How is the number of elements for a given probability calculated?

The number of elements for a given probability is typically calculated using statistical formulas, such as the sample size formula, which takes into account the desired level of confidence, margin of error, and population size. Other factors, such as the type of data and research design, may also affect the calculation.

What is the impact of increasing or decreasing the number of elements for a given probability?

Increasing the number of elements for a given probability can lead to more accurate and precise results, as it reduces the margin of error and increases the confidence level. On the other hand, decreasing the sample size may result in less reliable and generalizable findings.

How does the variability of the population affect the number of elements for a given probability?

The variability of the population, or the spread of the data, can affect the number of elements needed for a given probability. A more diverse or heterogeneous population may require a larger sample size to accurately represent the entire population, while a more homogeneous population may require a smaller sample size.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the number of elements for a given probability in research?

While the number of elements for a given probability is a useful tool in research, it is important to note that it is based on certain assumptions, such as a random and representative sample. Additionally, there may be other factors that can affect the results, such as biases, confounding variables, and outliers. Therefore, it is important for researchers to carefully consider and justify their sample size in relation to their research question and methodology.