Number of identical bond angles in PBr2F3

In summary: However, the geometry will be distorted in practice. This is because the bromine will push down on the fluorines, creating repulsions between the atoms. These repulsions create angles that are not 90 degrees. So, in summary, an equatorial triangle is a reference to the triangle formed by the elements in the equatorial position, but in practice the geometry will be distorted.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the geometric isomer of PBr2F3 with a Br-P-Br bond angle somewhat larger than 120 degrees. It is also true that for this isomer ...

There are two sets of identical bond angles.

Homework Equations

PBr2F3 is trigonal bipyramidal (although distorted).

The Attempt at a Solution

Er, two identical sets of bond angles? I can come up with more than that.

First, we consider the equatorial trigonal plane. Since the Br-P-Br bond angle is larger than 120 degrees, the Br-P-F bond angles should each be 1) less than 120 degrees and 2) still identical. If you think about it, we started with an equatorial triangle and we simply changed the length of one of the sides (the side with the two bromine atoms). This in turn changes only one of the angles of the triangle and should leave two identical bond angles in its wake.

So that's one set of identical bond angles.

Now we consider more steric effects and interactions between the axial and equatorial atoms.

We expect the bromine to push down on the fluorines because bromine is huge compared to fluorine. This distorts the perfect 180 degree bond angle in a perfect trigonal bipyramidal molecule and similarly the 90 degree bond angles in an ideal trigonal bipyramidal molecule.

This in turn creates two sets of identical bond angles for a total of three. We have:

1) F-axial, P, and Br-equatorial times 2 (there are two bromine atoms and two axial fluorines). This is somewhat greater than 90 degrees.

2) The somewhat smaller than 90 degrees F-axial, P, and F-equatorial bond. Diagram attached.

So is my teacher wrong?

uta9etej.jpg

Picture on left is an ideal representation with the perfect 90 degree bond angles explicitly shown; picture to the right below shows the repulsions.

arara5e4.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
"First, we consider the equatorial trigonal plane. Since the Br-P-Br bond angle is larger than 120 degrees, the Br-P-F bond angles should each be 1) less than 120 degrees and 2) still identical. If you think about it, we started with an equatorial triangle and we simply changed the length of one of the sides (the side with the two bromine atoms). This in turn changes only one of the angles of the triangle and should leave two identical bond angles in its wake."

I agree with you.

"equatorial triangle"

Maybe you mean equilateral?

I think that everything you said is correct. Is your teacher wrong? Well, it depends of what it claims.

BTW, what did you use to draw those pics?

I mean equatorial. Equatorial triangle is a reference to the triangle formed by the elements in the equatorial position. If you think about it, a trigonal bipyramidal shape is simply a trigonal planar center with a linear axes transversing the trigonal plane. I do not mean equilateral because the trigonal planar center of the molecule I referenced is distinctly not equilateral.

Here's the original question:

8e3ety4a.jpg

I used Penultimate to draw these pictures.

I understand what you mean by equatorial triangle, but when you said that "we started with an equatorial triangle and we simply changed the length of one of the sides" I thought it made a lot of sense to talk about an equilateral triangle. I know that at the end we will NOT have an equilateral triangle, but we "start" with one in our "model construction".

Thank you for the answer.

Okay, the center of the trigonal bipyramidal molecule is both an equatorial triangle and an equilateral triangle (in an ideal trigonal bipyramidal molecule).

1. What is the structure of PBr2F3?

The structure of PBr2F3 is a trigonal bipyramidal shape, with the phosphorus atom at the center and three fluorine atoms and two bromine atoms bonded to it.

2. How many identical bond angles are there in PBr2F3?

There are two identical bond angles in PBr2F3: the bond angles between the three fluorine atoms and the phosphorus atom, and the bond angles between the two bromine atoms and the phosphorus atom. Both of these angles measure approximately 120 degrees.

3. What is the bond angle between the fluorine atoms and the phosphorus atom?

The bond angle between the fluorine atoms and the phosphorus atom in PBr2F3 is approximately 120 degrees.

4. How does the number of bond angles in PBr2F3 affect its chemical properties?

The number of bond angles in PBr2F3, being a trigonal bipyramidal shape, affects its chemical properties by determining the molecular geometry and symmetry of the molecule. This, in turn, can affect the molecule's polarity, reactivity, and other chemical behaviors.

5. Can PBr2F3 exhibit any isomers due to its bond angles?

Yes, PBr2F3 can exhibit two different types of isomers: cis and trans. These isomers differ in the spatial arrangement of the bromine and fluorine atoms around the central phosphorus atom, which is influenced by the bond angles.