Number of ionizations by heavy ion beam

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ORF
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beam Ion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
ORF
Messages
169
Reaction score
19
Hello

If a heavy ion beam deposits a certain energy E in a volume V, how many ion-pairs will it produce in matter?

I think that the number of ion-pairs will be the energy divided by the (average) energy of ionization. A friend told me that a part of the deposited energy will cause also atomic excitations without ionizations, but we don’t know the fraction of energy for each process. I suppose that the fraction of excitations will be negligible compared to ionizations, but I’m not sure of that.

Thank for your time (with a reference to a book will be enough).

Greetings!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The fraction will depend on the target, the beam type and beam energy. You also get phonons and lattice displacements. There are programs that can simulate it.
 
Hello

Thank you for answering :)

I'm interested in the case of matter=liquid water and E=Bragg's peak.

On the other hand, you have aroused my curiosity: how can I find that programs?

Greetings!
 
Geant 4 is standard in high-energy physics, but I guess it works well for the Bragg peak, too.

No lattice displacements for liquids of course.
 
TRIM/SRIM will work well for this problem too, and is a little easier/quicker to run than Geant 4 for this kind of simple problem. http://www.srim.org/
Don't let the terrible website fool you, it's good stuff, and is pretty standard in medium/lowish energy beam physics.
 
Hello

I've taken a look to Geant4 and SRIM, and SRIM seems easier :)

Thank you for your help!

Greetings!