1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of Wires & Cross-Sectional Area

1. Sep 20, 2011 #1
    Hi there, I'm a student in high school.
    I'm quite new to the forum. Please forgive my mistakes.

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My question is related to electricity, more specifically the factors affecting resistance in a wire. I know that resistance is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the wire.

Does the number of wires represent the cross-sectional area of the wire?

Relevant equations
    The circuit diagram is in the attachment.
    I came across an experiment which describes that by changing the number of wires (ie. changing the number of eureka wires), we actually change its cross-sectional area.

The attempt at a solution
    However, doesn't adding the number of wires make it become a parallel circuit?

Help to clarify please?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2011 #2
    By adding more wires between points x and y, you are increasing the cross section of wire between these points. Between x and y, these wires are in parallel (so there is less current flowing through each wire. Using V=IR where V = const you can see that R reduces).

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Alright. Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook