1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does cross section area mean when dealing with stress/strain?

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    What does "cross section area" mean when dealing with stress/strain?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For clarification, here is an example problem:

A circular steel wire 2 m long must stretch no more than 0.25 cm when a tensile force of 400 N is applied to each end of the wire. What minimum diameter is required for the wire?

Relevant equations

FL = YA(ΔL)

Apparently, the cross section area for this object is simply pi*r^2 (as for any circle). Can someone tell me exactly what the cross section area is supposed to refer to? I thought it was the area of the plane of the object perpendicular to the applied force, but apparently I'm wrong or not understanding something properly.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2
    Why do you feel that you are wrong or not understanding something properly?

Chet

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3
    I don't know what the definition of "cross section area" is. At least not well enough to apply it to the context of elasticity physics problems.

5. Apr 4, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you put the wire in tension, the tensile stress is calculated using the circular cross-section of the wire.
    The tensile stress σ = F/A, where F is the tensile load (Newtons) and A is the cross section area (m^2), and the stress σ has units of pascals (N/m^2)

For a circular wire, A = πR[itex]^{2}[/itex] or πD[itex]^{2}[/itex]/4, where R (radius) or D (diameter) of the wire are measured in meters.

The elongation of an object undergoing a tensile load is

δ = FL/AE

where

F = tensile load (Newtons)
    L = unloaded length of the object (meters)
    A = cross sectional area of the object (m^2)
    E = modulus of elasticity of the material (Pa)

The cross section just refers to the shape of the loaded object which results from its intersection with a plane oriented normal to the applied load.

6. Apr 4, 2014 #5
    For a long cylindrical body (not necessary a circular cylinder), the cross sectional area is obtained by cutting the cylinder with a knife perpendicular to its axis and looking in at the exposed area. The area that is exposed is the cross sectional area of the cylinder.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted