Number Patterns: 11,13,17,19,23,29,31,....?

• Thread starter lahirurana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patterns
In summary, the pattern is 2,4,2,4,6,2,4,6,8,2,4,6,8, and so on.We call them prime numbers in English.And here's a formula for the whole sequence, starting with ##2,~3,~5,~7~...##:
lahirurana
Moved form a technical forum, so homework template missing
Im little bit new to number patterns. Can anyone please solve this for me

11,13,17,19,23,29,31,?

This maybe pretty easy one but I am little bit confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried to do to solve it, so far ?

BvU said:
What have you tried to do to solve it, so far ?
Different between consecutive numbers are 2 4 2 4 6 2
As my opinion next should be 4. So the answer should be 31+4=35
If the pattern go further it should be like 2 4 2 4 6 2 4 6 8 2 4 likewise. But the answe is given as 37

lahirurana said:
Different between consecutive numbers are 2 4 2 4 6 2
As my opinion next should be 4. So the answer should be 31+4=35
If the pattern go further it should be like 2 4 2 4 6 2 4 6 8 2 4 likewise. But the answe is given as 37
In my first attempt, I got the same number as you did. But looking at the numbers again, I realized that this is not a sequence based on a progression, but is related to an inherent property of the numbers (in other words, it has nothing to do with the difference or any other mathematical relation between two consecutive numbers). Hope this is a helpful hint.

Likes BvU and lahirurana
DrClaude said:
In my first attempt, I got the same number as you did. But looking at the numbers again, I realized that this is not a sequence based on a progression, but is related to an inherent property of the numbers (in other words, it has nothing to do with the difference or any other mathematical relation between two consecutive numbers). Hope this is a helpful hint.
Ohhhh s*** How could i miss that. Thank you very much sir. Primary Numbers

Likes Nik_2213 and CWatters
If it's any consolation: I went for 35 too !

:welcome:

Likes lahirurana
There are more like this ill add them later. First i have to try something on them. thank you very much.

BvU said:
That shows that such problems can have multiple solutions. Unless a context is given, I see no reason why 35 wouldn't be a valid answer.

Likes lahirurana
lahirurana said:
Ohhhh s*** How could i miss that. Thank you very much sir. Primary Numbers
Does that actually count as a "sequence" given there isn't an equation for the nth term?

CWatters said:
Does that actually count as a "sequence" given there isn't an equation for the nth term?
I don't think that it can be take from nth term

CWatters said:
The OP never used the term sequence, only pattern.

Likes CWatters and lahirurana
DrClaude said:
The OP never used the term sequence, only pattern.
Yep All sequences are patterns but not all patterns will be squences

Likes jedishrfu
Good catch.

Likes Nik_2213
CWatters said:
That is definitely a sequence. There is no such requirement that an equation is needed for the nth term.

SammyS said:
That is definitely a sequence. There is no such requirement that an equation is needed for the nth term.
I agree.

Likes SammyS
lahirurana said:
But the answe is given as 37
BvU said:
37 seemed to me to be the obvious next number in the sequence, for the reason that DrClaude gave.

lahirurana said:
Primary Numbers
We call them prime numbers in English.

And here's a formula for the whole sequence, starting with ##2,~3,~5,~7~...##
Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

1. What is the pattern in this sequence of numbers?

The pattern in this sequence is that each number is a prime number, starting from 11 and increasing by 2 each time.

2. How can I continue this number pattern?

To continue this number pattern, you would need to add 2 to the last number in the sequence, which would be 31. This would result in the next number being 33.

3. Is there a formula for this number pattern?

Yes, there is a formula for this number pattern. It is nth term = 10 + 2n, where n is the term number starting from 0.

4. Why are these numbers called prime numbers?

Prime numbers are called so because they can only be divided by 1 and themselves without leaving a remainder. In other words, they have exactly two factors.

5. Can this number pattern be found in nature?

While this specific number pattern may not be found in nature, the concept of prime numbers is prevalent in various natural phenomena, such as the distribution of leaves on a stem or the spiral pattern of sunflower seeds.