Number theory: Modulus and Divisibility problem

In summary, the problem asks to prove that if gcd(a, 133) = 1, then 133 divides (a^18 - 1). The approach is to factor a^108 - 1 into a product of polynomials, with the goal of showing that none of the factors are divisible by 133. However, it does not seem to factor easily and the only possible solution is to show that a^18=1 mod 7 and/or a^18=1 mod 19, which would make the other factors non-zero mod 133.
Tim67

Homework Statement

Prove that if gcd(a, 133) = 1, then 133 divides (a^18 - 1).

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an old homework question as I'm going over the homeworks to review for the test, but can't seem to get this right. Which is annoying because I remember I did it fine back in the course when this homework was actually due.

So, I know gcd(a, 133) = 1 implies 133 divides a^phi(133) -1 = a^108 -1. So I assume I'd want to factor that out so that I get a product of polynomials, one of the form (a^18 - 1), and show that the other polynomial factors aren't divisible by 133 by appealing to their modulus form. But that doesn't seem to be working out.

Physics news on Phys.org
But that doesn't seem to be working out.
Can you show where exactly you run into problems? The approach looks good, I think.

It just doesn't factor easily, and generally in this class the problems have been computationally simple once you know the right approach to take, so that's making me think it can't be right. I mean, I'd want to factor it so I get a product of (a^x -1)(a^y + 1) ... (a^z +1) etc so that I can easily show that none of the other factors are divisible, but it doesn't seem like it'll break up like that:

I can get (a^108 - 1) = (a^54 -1)(a^54 +1) = (a^27 - 1)(a^27+1)(a^54 + 1) etc. I think I need to factor it into forms like that to get a product of factors only of the form I can convert into modulus representations. But it doesn't seem I can do that.

[tex]a^{108-1} = (a^{18})^6-1 = (a^{18}-1)(...)[/tex]

I think you can show that a^18=1 mod 7 and/or a^18=1 mod 19 is the only way to solve this (so the other expression cannot be 0 mod 133).

1. What is modulus in number theory?

Modulus in number theory is a mathematical operation that gives the remainder after dividing one number by another. It is denoted by the symbol "%". For example, the modulus of 12 % 5 would be 2 because 12 divided by 5 is 2 with a remainder of 2.

2. How is modulus used in number theory?

Modulus is used in number theory to solve problems related to divisibility. It helps in determining whether one number is a factor of another. If the modulus of two numbers is 0, then the first number is divisible by the second number.

3. What are some common divisibility rules used in number theory?

Some common divisibility rules used in number theory include:
- A number is divisible by 2 if its last digit is 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8
- A number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3
- A number is divisible by 4 if the last two digits form a number divisible by 4
- A number is divisible by 5 if its last digit is 0 or 5
- A number is divisible by 6 if it is divisible by both 2 and 3
- A number is divisible by 9 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 9

4. How is the Euclidean algorithm used in number theory?

The Euclidean algorithm is a method used in number theory to find the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers. It works by repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and taking the remainder until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder is the GCD of the two numbers.

5. What is the relationship between modulus and prime numbers?

Prime numbers have a special relationship with modulus in number theory. By definition, a prime number has only two factors - 1 and itself. Therefore, if the modulus of a number with a prime number is 0, it means that the number only has two factors and is therefore a prime number itself. This is a useful tool in determining whether a number is prime or not.